Tactics/Bait Help for channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by aggie2305, Apr 9, 2006.

1. aggie2305

aggie2305 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    HI,

im goin fishing in a small pond thats only about 10 feet deep, maybe 15x40feet. Theres only catfish and bluegill in the lake. I want to catch catfish, and I know there are some giants in there because I have caught some big ones. Any tips on bait/hook/depth to use, I wanna avoid those bluegill if possible.

thanks guys

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome aboard, you might try some cut shad or cut bluegill on a circle or J hook. JMO:)

3. Buknasty

Buknasty New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would use a treble hook and Danny King's bait (although I haven't tested it out yet, my friends have luck with it.) Just cast out your line with a sinker on it and then wait. I doubt if the bluegill will give you any trouble. Good Luck!

4. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I'd go a little early, catch some of those gills, and use it as cut bait. I'd probably use a Carolina Rig.

SudDawg

5. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    I'll second that advice! Try a 3 inch by 1 inch piece of gill on a 5/0 kahle hook.

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Aggie

Hi right back at you and WELCOME TO THE BOC the best darn catfishing site on the web!! ;)

IF you just want to try for the bigger ones use a Big chunk of fresh Blue Gill, big enough where the small ones can not take it.

Hope this helps.

7. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Chumming with dog food is a good tactic in small ponds. I would either use cut or even live, small bluegills since that's probably the main forage in there. Also give dip baits a try, they seem to work well in smaller waters.

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    catch a few of those smaller gills and cut them into chunks and use that for bait. I caught a lot of good size channels last year on bluegill heads.

9. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I second the use of cut Bluegills but I would suspend it under a float, they are used to seeing gills in the water put one in there under a float that is leaking blood and they will go nuts on it, love fishing ponds with floats, channels will come right up under them and inhale them and dive for the bottom so it's easy to hook they up, for years we fished gravel pits using that method.........Doc

10. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I would use stink/dough bait. Most gill wont touch it. Cut bait should work great too as the cats eat gills probably as a main food supply.

11. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I would have to w/ using a bluegill for bait.

12. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Before you use bluegills check with game and inland and see if there are any regs saying you cant if theres not use it cause thats what the cats in there are feeding on if thats all thats init. other then that cut shad is a good bait to use. also try freash chicken liver.

If they are spawning try fishing along the edge of lillys using a float with the bait about 3 or 4 foot below it. around brush piles down trees, large rocks if there are any,.

Hop this is to some help i like to use a number 5 egal claw bait holder j hook.

13. bigtimingcats69

bigtimingcats69 New Member

State:
    Stuart, Virginia
    I would definetely catch some of those bluegill and suspend them under a float. Works every time!!

14. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I'm with these guys, use the bluegills for bait if it's legal. I'd personally cut up the gills and use the gut sacks though. Channels go crazy for them.

15. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i like the cut bluegill idea... but a live bluegill under a bobber about a foot or less under the surface so its really trying to struggle to get back down should work well... though you may be surprised and get a ba$$ or two that you didn't think was in there... ummm the other big option is liver... toss a 1/4 liver out on a 2/0 circle and hold on...

16. jamesnewsom

jamesnewsom New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    If I were you I would rig up a heavy sinker on my main line and then tie a swivel on it and then use about a 12 to 18 inch fish line leader from the swivel with about a # 4 or 5 hook and some bllod bait or liver. This should keep you away from the bream and you should have some luck with the catfish.

17. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    If you want to eliminate any bluegill problem catch one and hook him live ( put the hook through the body about 1/4 inch below that top line of fins right where they start, watch your fingers they are prickley little critters) on a 12 - 18in. leader so he can swim. Hello Supper!
    Good Fishin,
    Don

To the world you may be just a person but to a person you may be the world.

18. BigOleW9

BigOleW9 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would use gill for sure. That is their only forage base so they are probably thriving on it.

19. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Since There Are So Many Bluegills Available, I Would Use Them, As Long As They Are Legal.

You Can Never Go Wrong With What's Natural For Them To Eat.

The Saltwater Guys Here Have A Saying,"You Gotta Match The Hatch". Seems To Prove Accurate, Elliot

20. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    If all they have to eat is bluegill that would be my first choice.

Second choice would be chubs.