Tacklebox, bag or bucket for catfishing?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by ravenloft420, Apr 10, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I was just wondering what everyone used when bank fishing.

I like to bring two buckets and my cooler which will hold 18-19 cans and a half bag of ice. I have a couple of those medium sized clear plastick boxes,one fore my hooks swivels etc and one just for sinkers. I like buckets because you can put so much stuff in them and not worry about them popping open because of the wieght of all those big ole sinkers we catfishers like to use. my other bucket is for bait (or to keep the other half bag of ice in if I dont have any live bait)

what do you guys prefer?

also, anyone know of a good way to insulate a bait bucket?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    For bank fishing, I prefer a back pack. The good Lord needed to give me three or four more arms to carry the stuff to the water than I have. The back pack carries items I would have had to carry in my hands. Gotta have the poles, buckets, bait and cast net. LOL Hooks and sinker fit the backpack.

3. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois
    tackle bags i gave up on boxes

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i to use buckets.they have lots of room and in a pinch you can use them to sit on.

5. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Backpack, there is no way I could carry my gear, a bait bucket, and a chair if I didnt use a backpack.

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Day pack.(small back-pack)
    Have to hike in close to a mile to one of my Fav. spots is how that got started, now I keep way to much of everything in it. BUT, I can be out the door to fish in a minute. (Just ring the phone or knock on the door!)

Other than that, depends on where, who-else, and how long.
    Small, medium, or large cooler, minnow bucket, Coleman lantern, Folding lawn chair, bag of food.

The pack holds most everything else including a small radio, flashlight, snacks, tackle, lures, stringer, Bait, needle nose pliers, trash bags for trash/emergency rain gear, crying towel, butt paper, bit O newspaper for a fire, dough bait for emergencies, sometimes a small frying pan and utensils, extra mantles for the lantern, leather glove, anti-bug juice, BandAids, Purell alcohol hand cleaner, bit O duct tape, and a couple yards of string. Carry the knife on my belt.
    Probably somethings else but I can't remember just now.

BTW, the butt paper always makes you the most popular person on the bank! LOL!! :lol:

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    For bank fishing if walking any distance I use my trusty little red wagon. Put every thing in it including poles,tackle box ,pole holders strap eveything down with a couple rubber straps and I'm on my way.Easier than having to carry everything.Maybe I'm just lazy.

8. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    I use a small Back Pack too:

I keep a small divided plastic Box with hooks, sinkers, swivels and etc. I have a small cutting board and knife for cut bait, A spool of line for leaders if needed, My headlamp and extra batteries, and a buch of other things and I still have my hands free to carry Rods, minnow bucket for Bream, a small Ice chest.

Works for me;

Gene

9. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County

Nope your not lazy ..just smarter then the rest of us on the bank

Myself I bought a tackle bag about 5/7 years ago and its been through it all and all though its faded its still tuffer than nails!..besides the fact that I had a limb catch my tackle box years ago and after 45 min with a lantern in the mud I gave up went home and swore to never do it again!

10. JoshB

JoshB New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have always used buckets, but I am seriously considering a backpack

Josh

11. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I take my kids. "Here you carry this, you carry these, you get the bait, aaaand you can carry this" "But daddy, what are *you* going to carry?" "What do you mean? I got everything the 17 miles over here, you can carry it to the bank":tounge_out:

I usually just use a backpack on the bank though, and keep a large tackle box in the boat.

Jon

12. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Andrew
    Good thread. I’ve been working on that this winter. I have a lot of all kinds tackle boxes, plastic divided boxes, 2 types back packs, and buckets. Flathead fishing I use the boat or drive up to where I fish. Now river fishing I rigged up a 5 gal bucket with a hinged & padded lid. Biggest improvement I made was to buy a old used golf cart bag carrier for $1.00, replaced a shopping cart type carrier. This works great the large wheels and the adjustable spread of the wheels will go lots of places. I rigged it to hold 2 pole holders with the rods in place. Carries all the necessary stuff with the exception of live fish bait. I have been taking only small minnies in a small container in the bucket, but need to be bringing the larger gills and chubs. I have a double 5 gal bucket for that too, with holes so can be placed in the water at the site. However the angle of the golf bag carrier spills water out. Have to work on this. Luck

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I saw a guy that had one of those yard wagons with rod holders attached to them it was great. I plan on doing something like that this year.

14. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I use a ruk sack or tackle box. depending where and how I'm fishing. :lol:

15. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    For some reason it seems I always have to walk a good distance to get to good bank fishing spots. I bought a great tackle bag from Bass Pro last year, the XPS-STALKER. This bag will hold everything I need, including my radio so I can listen to the Cardinals while waiting for something to happen. This bag can also be carried as a backpack, which leaves both arms free to carry rods, bait bucket and chair.

16. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I use an old army gas bag that stores the basic tackle I need to fish from the bank.

17. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use a five gallon bucket but am getting some good idea's from this thread.
    Will look for a cheap golf bag carrier for some trips and a backpack for tackle when having live bait.
    Jake

18. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Hard to beat the 5 gallon bucket...indestructible and cheap....many uses...seat,cooler,baitwell,fish holder,tackle holder,fire bucket,emergency PFD with lid,privvy:big_smile: ,I keep a lot of ziplock bags in the car-just grab the few I need

19. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I carry an old laptop computer bag. It holds 2 plano clear plastic tackleboxes and I can cram just nearly anything else fishing-related in there, such as bug spray, scale, knife, blah blah blah. It was a heckuva nice laptop bag at one time (back when I was a "bidniss" man) but now it's been called upon for a higher purpose. I like to call my catbag "Stinky." I figured if Doug Stange could name his bag, then I can too!:cool2:

20. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I use a backpack since I generally bicycle to the place where I go for catfish. However, inside, I do have the plastic boxes with compartments for the small tackle items, and a plastic pencil box for some larger items. I use a small insulated lunch box for the bait, and I carry a cooler bag (foil-lined bag) for my catch. The bag is tied to the outside of the pack.

-- Rich