Tackle?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by BIGCATFISH64, Feb 28, 2009.

1. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    I plan on making several trips to the Ohio river this coming year for the big one. I usually use a medium-heavy rod with a conventional reel with a baitclicker and 25lb. test line. My question is am I making a mistake and using to light of setup? Some helpful feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

2. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Welcome to the BOC Douglass. You will find answers to about every catfishing question you have here. There are several threads on here dealing with tackle.

I fish the Ohio almost weekly and the tackle depends on what catfish you are targeting. I target blues and use a pretty heavy set up. med./heavy to heavy rods (catfish safari rods). abu garcia 7000 reels with ~300 yards solar green big game mono (40 lbs) with a 50lb clear mono leader. 7/0 team catfish double action circle hooks. That set up will handle about anything the Ohio has to offer. Hope this helps.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Douglas Welcome to the BOC from So. Illinois. Scott has given you a very accurate account on Ohio River equipment. I agree with him.

4. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Theres only one way to know for sure! If you start experiencing broken line or busted rods or reels then you know its time to change. For big trophy blues I would go with a heavier set up. You might be ok with what you are using now for channels and most flatheads. I say if you have any hesitations about youre gear then you better change it before you go fishing. Too many bad stories of the one that got away because of poor equipment. WHEN IN DOUBT? THROW IT OUT!:wink: