Tackle help

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by catfishing is fun, Feb 28, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    There is a place real close to my house with some big carp, what do i need to have to fish for them, i hooked into one accadently once, on a little peice of line wraped around my finger, it hurt pretty bad, i prefer to fish with a reel, and a rod but what type do i use, and what size line, just for reference, no baitcasters, i only use spinning reels

Thanks

2. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    carp fishin can get very expensive if you get into it seriously, but it doesnt have to. just use whatever rod n reel you use for catfishin. any sweet bait should catch em, like whole kernal sweet corn, wheaties cereal mixed with big red soda water, etc. or you could mix up your own boilies and fish a hair rig (use google to find boilie recipes and how to do hair rigs). Good luck n hold on!

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    it's sound perfect for carpfishing, but make sure this powerplus rod has MEDIUM ACTION.. but I'm not carpfishing, sometimes I can catch them while I catfishing, I caught them on worms, liver, minnow, and lures too... anyway GOOD LUCK!

4. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Do you need medium action so they you can see when they hit the bait better?

5. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    get a bite indicator. Ive seen electronic ones, and ive seen people use the filter off their cigarette.

6. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    how do the do the cigarette thing

7. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i saw an old man carp fishin that took the cig filters and slid em on sideways on the line between the reel and the first guide. he left a lil slack in the line there so that when he got a bite he would see the filter move. doesnt seem to work as good in the wind. heck even a stiff piece of grass bent over the line would work.

8. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Probably whatever you have can be adapted. Have caught them up to 8 lbs on a cane-pole.

Back in my young teen years, Carp were the largest fish I had regular (walking) access to. Did it with nothing more that a Zebco 33 combo with 10 lb line, whatever hooks I could scrounge up that were 1/0 or smaller, Slip or split-shot sinkers, a forked stick and "made on the bank" Shredded Wheat dough-balls or corn from a can. Maybe "sweetened" with some Vanilla extract stolen from my moms cabinet.

Used to leave the line a little slack so that it had a "belly" out to the water and when they pulled the line tight on a run, set the steel to 'em! Caught them up to 20 lbs that way.

Nice to have the fancy equipment, but a bit of skill in playing them makes up for a lot and Truth be told, makes it much more fun.

One warning though, Never be out of arms reach of your pole if you wish to keep it. Even a small one can drag it "out to Sea" before you realize you have a bite. Them Carp are strong.

9. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I just use a little abu garcia rod that is 6'6 and is only rated for 8 to 12 pound line, i use an abu garcia blackmax baitcaster, and spool the reel with 10 pound big game line...Those like crazy..Its fun catching them on lite tackle

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I've caught ALOT of carp anywhere from 2 to +26lbs on a cheap (around the $20 range) Zebco 33 combo's from walmart.. I respool the 33's with stren 17# line and Never had a problem... I still use em for carp here and there....

11. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Tim,

I agree with you that the fish really don't know what kind of rod and reel are on the other end of that line. I've seen too many bass caught on Snoopy rods!:lol:

So do you put the rod in a holder? Do you loosen the drag up quite a bit too? How do you keep the carp from draggin' it in?

12. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I fish "loose line" ..
    Best thing about a 33 is it can cast a country mile very easily.. I just put a treble hook and nothing else on the line.. Pack the dough bait around it and pitch it out there.. After letting it sink a bit, I just tighten the line enough to take the slack out, and then push the button .. Just wait for the line to run out :big_smile: .. at nite you can take a pice of paper or whatever and put it on the line to help watch the line go out if you want... When they bite, click it, let the line tighten, and set the hook..

I've found carp to be very skiddish. If they feel anything (tag end of knot, hook barb, resistance from the line/weight, etc) they'll spit it out.. Thats why I dont use weights or tight line it...

Drag should be set to the line your using no matter what reel your using:cool2:.
    I would say if you don't know, error on the side of caution and set it a tad loose, you can always tighten it up with a fish on.. better to have it too loose than too tight and have them break off...

I would also add, the beginning of every season I go through and grease the guts and change the line on the reels.. I primarily use baitcasters now, but if I use my 33's at all, I still do the yearly cleaning/maintence on them. My 33's are probably at least 8 years old and they still work great..

13. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I love the 33s. You are right about casting. I can throw an 1/8th oz jig a mile. It is a great sandbass setup. I've got a couple of the 33 Classics. They used to make them just down the road from me in Tulsa. They closed the plant a few years ago and moved everything to China. Shame.