tackle for the Altamaha

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by rodney07, Jan 23, 2009.

1. rodney07

rodney07 New Member

State:
    Richland Ga.
    I'm planning on making a trip to Jesup to fish the Altamaha in the spring.Can someone tell me what size fishing line should I use. How long a leader do I need? What size hook? Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

2. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    as with anywhere al that is going to vary with the way you fish. however with as high as the river is and probably will be then you may wanna bring no roll sinkers from 6 -8 oz. i fish with 60lb power pro and amyet to have a fish break it off and its not uncommon to catch a fish aound 50 lbs. hooks what your preference, i use a 6/0 most of the time. leader i tend to go about 1.5 to 2 ft long. anything else just ask

3. rodney07

rodney07 New Member

State:
    Richland Ga.
    What 's the best fishing when water is high or low,late springor early spring?

4. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Hello Rodney07 and welcome to the BOC. I am located just out of Jesup about 3 miles from the river. As Jon said....... it all depends upon the the area you are fishing and the water height and flow. I would stick with what he said since that can be used pretty much anywhere. Whether you will be on sand bar fishing or from a boat you will surley need to get some NO ROLL SINKERS, Good 40-60 lb test line either mono or braid and connect a 18 inch to 2 ft leader on. I currently use 50 lb braid, 5 oz no roll sinkers and 6-0 circle hooks. There are multiple ways to rig them up by adding to the leader a small styrofoam float just 6 inches up from the hook.... this will allow to bait to remain off the bottom just a bit or dont put any thing on it and let the bait stay on the bottom. There are slip float rigs, drop shot type rigs, carolina rigs and many others. Try them all and you will stick to what works.

Hope to be able to meet you on the river sometime i the near future. There will be a gathering at West Point lake coming up in Apr. 3,4,5 . Check out the blog there....... under BOC Gatherings on the main catfish1 page ....

Good Luck
    AJ

5. rodney07

rodney07 New Member

State:
    Richland Ga.
    I sure appreciate all this advise.I will be putting in at jaycee's landing.thanks again,I have a pretty good idea what I need now.

6. sharkn1979

sharkn1979 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i just wantedto remind yall about the wayne county catfish tournament in may. i hope yall can make it.