Tackle boxes, need help!

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by DANZIG, Nov 26, 2008.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have 3 young nephews that need tackle boxes for Christmas.

They are about 8 so they don't need suitcases, but something that will last them till they get serious.

On a budget...Suggestions?

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    http://www.planomolding.com/tackle/products.asp

Hey Danzig. Plano makes some nice kids tackle boxes. Check out the link. Not sure on the prices, but I'm sure Walmart or other places may carry these style of tackle boxes. Shouldn't be that expensive at all.

Good luck on the purchase for the little ones. Go to the link and click on Kids/Youth organizers.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    What about the tackle bags with the plastic cases at wal-mart? Thats what I used to use till I started using a backpack with the plastic cases. Best I can remember they weren't too much.

4. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Basic 2 tray Plano boxes are $8 at Wal Mart.

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I guess I may have to go with a bag type but I am kind of looking for something more substantial that a plastic kid box. Something that will take kid abuse.

Their dad, my little brother, is not a "big" fishing type guy and I am trying to get them "bent" into one of my bad habits! (The evil Uncle thing.):wink::smile2:

Last year I hooked them up with some half decent Zebco combos, (better than what I brought in the 8lb + Carp with the other day) and they were tickled pink to have "real fishing rods" for the first time.

I am on a budget but don't want to "cheap out". Need to get them something that will last till they are old enough to buy their own if they choose.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Yes! Kids can be very rough to their belongings. Being the father of a 2 and 3 year old, I can relate to this. I would opt for a tackle bag of some sort. At least they can be replaced if damaged and will be cost efficient. Especially for someone on a budget!

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Just got one of these systems, actually for my 10 year old, priced for clearance, seems very well built...... Like I said the price seemed good is a bit more than I was looking for but cheaper than most I have seen that are junk looking...

click on the "click here" and it will take you to the design and details of it...... Good Luck Shop'n

http://fishing.flambeauoutdoors.com/fishing.asp

8. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    iwould go with the tackle bag these new boxes are made so cheap and flimsy i think the bag is tougher

9. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I like that bag
    regular $45 marked down to $14 I like it even more. I had to use a paper sack when I was growing up, man these kids today have it made

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Lawrence,
    If they fish from shore, get a five gallon bucket with a padded lid for each of them. Fill a couple of Plano organizer boxes with basic tackle for each bucket along with a bank rod holder and they are set.
    Kid proof, water proof, easy to clean, no zippers to fail and something to keep their butts off the mud or wet grass...W

11. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    I got one of these at Homedepot, its a Black & Decker hardware organizer, it has 4 clear plastic storage boxes that slide in and out $10 or $12 bucks. It works great for all my terminal tackle.

12. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I agree with Winston, a 5 gal. bucket is the way to go. You can take it a step further and personalize them by having their names stenciled on them, and use different colored buckets.

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    shakespear has there tackle bags that are free ($6something s&h) when you get an ugly stik. if you have bought any or know anybody who has that will part with their order form that would be cheep and should be of good quality.

14. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I use a large Soft igloo cooler, probley around a 24qt or so. All my weights are in coffee cans wich stay in the boat.

15. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    I agree with the bucket idea. That way if ya get a couple for supper just drop em in the bucket and carry it home, in addition to that once they graduate and still have that bucket they can use it as a bait bucket after they get a serious style box/bag.:wink:

16. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I will add that when I bank fish the river I use a bucket and it has everything but kichen sink in it.

17. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Word x3.:angry:

I think Winston is on to something.

18. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    You probably wouldnt want to get them this but I uae a old purse myself it dont matter. Ican goand take what I need and it dont take a lot of room in the boat or easy to carry with rods. Not to manley iguess but me i do,t care it works for me. Thanks Sam Davis