tackle box organization

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by cook, Dec 28, 2005.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I always start off the year in good shape,but by the end of the year this is what it looks like. :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Gives me something to do till the water thaws

Attached Files:

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Click here for the best way I've seen for organizing tackle. I've pretty much went to this system and it works great for me. We can thank Big George for this gift. Thanks George!

3. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    The important thing is, that you know where everything is at. ;)

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mine looks like that after the first couple trips of the year! :D

5. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Bryan, that's a nice setup! It sure is hard sometimes to keep everything together.

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Gosh, If i was that orgnaized I would not find anything :D My tackle is a mess but I can find anything[most of the time ;) ] :D

7. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    WHISTLER, kind of living dangerously aren't ya? I mean it looks like the back of your pickup is a fisherman's paradise. I know the idea is that you have everything when you need it; however, what if someone breaks into your truck. I don't know where you live, but you don't have to live in a big city to get your gear jacked. I know in the cities I live by, people will jack your stuff and sell it too pawn shops. (I have seen many a tacklebox with gear in my local pawn shops, and I know fisherman just don't "quit" fishing, and tackle/gear is quickly picked up at estate sales - so I figure most of this gear was stolen or at most sold off by angry wives) However, I live in a very small town (about a thousand people with a low crime rate) and mostly everyone fishes. There are many people who have had people take tackleboxes/gear out of their car/garage/boat and so many stolen props its unbeleivable. Most people around here steal it to keep it! I know its terrible, but its true. So, I never leave nothing in my truck. However, a few years back I had my truck stolen and destroyed (I even had a car alarm). If I would have had all my gear in it, I would have been so MUCH more angry. I had full coverage, but when I explained I had a $150 pair of glasses in my truck my insurance company told me to prove it was in the truck! (Now, how am I going to do that - all I had is proof that I bought the glasses) What if I would have had hundreds/thousands of dollars of fishing equipment in there. I don't think my insurance would have replaced it. Plus, you may think it is safe at the lake; however, since all these people are fisherman this is probably where it is most likely to get stolen. I mean, I too have locked up a tacklebox in my truck while I walked off to try a very distant spot. However, I just wouldn't keep so much gear in there and get out of sight distance. Lets face it, we all would like to think no angler would do this, but the truth is some anglers wouldn't think twice about stealing your equipment and calling it their own. A simple locked topper may not stop them when there is that much equipment to be gained.

However, I do agree about carrying what you need. I used to lug around so much gear (and I am the type who tries several different spots while bank fishing) I find it so much better when I just take the bare minimum. However, in my boats I don't really have a limit (except for weight limit)

As far as organization, I used to just do the old one tacklebox thing. However, when I got too much tackle/gear I split up the boxes. The best method I have found is using several tackleboxes for specific situations. I have one box with components and everything for lure/reel repair/maintenance which never leaves the house (I figure I ain't really going to fix anything on the water, rather I will just switch lures or poles). I have a tacklebox for catfish (with prepared baits, lines, large weights, hooks, etc. and some old lures that I don't care about losing for fishing in the river for walleye/gar/whatever). I take this when specifically targeting catfish on the Mississippi River. I have my "little" box which is lightweight for panfish and other fish (it has a bunch of small lures, hooks, jigs, tubes, etc.) for just the average size fish around here such as bass, bluegill, crappie. It is what I can take for small ponds and lakes. I have another tacklebox with the removable trays for my "other fish" I can trade out trays for plastics, hard baits, spinner baits, or what ever else I want to try that day. It has small lures and large lures for any size fish. It has a wide variety of hooks and weights. I can use it in small ponds for bass, bluegill, crappie, etc. or lakes or the Mississippi for catfish, walleye, northern. It is my "go anywhere" box. My final box (which isn't really a box) is what I usually take with me to lakes or ponds. It is just an assortment of hooks, jigs, bobbers, weights, that I carry in a couple of film canisters in my pocket for baitfishing (I used to carry the real small pocket boxes, but found they don't really fit in your pocket). I also have a key ring with forceps, clippers, hook sharpener, keychain measuring tape, jig eye cleaner which I take always with me.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    allright you guys got me started lol, out of work till the first so im pretty bored. heres my bag i take fishing. hard to beleive all this s#$t fits but it does. what i take pretty much covers everything just in case. i have another crappie box thats not included because i hardly ever crappie fish anymore. weighed the bag and it comes in at 17.3 lbs.

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Jon...LOL...you call that a mess??? You should see my garage during the middle of fishing season. I have an 8' pool table out there that doubles as a staging table for loosely organizing my gear. Emphasis on "loosely". :D

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    more pics of stuff

11. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    heh ill dig out my mess tonite and show you a mess lol

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    So let me get this straight Ron. All fishermen are thieves. Its the back of my truck and I have yet to have a problem with it. Perhaps you live in a pretty rough area. Were you in the pawn shop lookin for a good deal on fishin equipment? Guess ya don't have any problem buyin it even though it may be stolen. If ya ask me ya have a pretty pesamistic outlook on things.
    BIG GEORGE

13. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i had a 12 foot jon boat with a 5 horse motor several years back the motor was brand new had maybe 2 hours on it. walked up to get my truck drove down to the boat so i could load it all up someone stole the motor tackle box and a pole. never did find it. here at my house a neighbor went walked past my front door carrying a gas tank for my old boat caught him as i was walking out my door asked him what is he planing to do with my tank he said oh i bought it from next door lol i wont go into detail what happened next cept the police had to take him by the doctor before booking him into jail :eek:

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have had gear stolen in the past from the back of my truck on two different occasions. There's no worse feeling in the world than discovering that your favorite rod or tacklebox was stolen from the back of the truck while you had walked a short distance to sample a pond thats hidden from the road. It really sucks. I must admit that after that second time...I really got paranoid about leaving stuff in my truck. If it's not there...it can't be stolen. I travel lighter now than I used to...so's I can carry everything I bring along with me. I also pay closer attention to where I park. And since then...nothing of mine has been stolen. Although I often see in the local newspaper where people get gear stolen. I hate to lose faith in people, but you've got to pay attention to your surroundings any more if you want to hang onto what you've got. I don't live in a big city either...the small Kansas town I'm in has 3,000 people in it. There's only 10,000 people in our whole county.

I wouldn't presume to say that all fishermen are thieves. As a matter of fact...I'd imagine the vast majority probably aren't going to steal anything...even if they have the chance to do so. There's thieves in all circles of people. Ours included. The sad part is...if they'll steal fishing gear...they're likely have no qualms about poaching if given the opportunity.

15. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    what makes it bad is that small percentage of dishonest fishermen can sure make newbies not want to stay with fishing seen it happen before. one thing that realy gets me is years ago this one old boy someone stole his gear he really didnt have the money to replace it at all. and thats all he had to do was fish so a bunch of people that heard about it bought him new gear and set him up nicely. the good people outwiegh the bad but the bad ones are the ones always pointed out in every sport hobby etc.

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What I ahte is that it may take me 2 hours to organize it the night before a trip, butt hen when I'm on the banks of a river, about 10 minutes to screw it all up again!

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Bryan where would a good place be to get the little bags to put each hook in?
    Thanks
    Pete

18. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Pete for about 7 bucks I got my folder full of ziplocks at Bait Pro Shops in Nashville. But I know Wally World carries one that has the Quantum logo on it for about 4 bucks. Not as many sleeves though. They really do work great. George Ostrom is the member who made the post above. I think he's even got a video in the library about this. Not bad for a guy from Joisey!! LOL

19. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Good replies by all(except wolfie-one day I will catch a fish,watch out :) )

What I left out in the pic is the ever present indespensible 5 gallon bucket!!I mainly bank fish,so I keep all my crap in the car trunk.When I get to my spot,I already know about what I need.Into the bucket goes bait,a dozen hooks and sinkers,or so.Always carry pliers,knife,towel,radio,and beverage of the day.
    A long time ago,I realized 90% of the stuff I dragged with me never got touched.The problem is when I'm done I just dump it back in the bags.I have 1 for catfishing,1 for crappie/white bass,1 for general use.Towards fall hunting gets mixed in.It will be all nice in neat at the start :D but when it looks like the pics at the end of the season,it means I've had a great year!! :p

20. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks Bryan.
    Did you get a P/M form me the other day?
    Also I got a P/M form Big George and I think he is a good guy even though He is from NJ..LOL
    Pete