Tackle Box or Tackle Bag?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by elphaba7, Feb 15, 2006.

1. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    I couldn't find a thread on tackle boxes themselves. If this is duplicate, point me in the right direction.:)

Anyway, my next purchase is a tackle box. I'm trying to decide whether I should go with a box or a bag. Are there major differences? Pro's and con's? My only requirement is that it be large enough to carry an over sized paperback book, a drink, and my worms and livers. I'm thinking something with a strap, or backpack style might be a good choice, however I also use the box I have now as a seat.

Can I have some recommendations?

2. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Bag for me will never go back to a box;)

3. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
  4. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
  5. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Sounds like you need a backpack for fishing gear + book and a small six pack cooler for bait and lunch. I know carrying your lunch and bait in the same cooler might turn some people off, but I took a small plastic box, about the size of a cigar box bottom that will just fit in a 6 pack cooler. Put your bait and ice in the bottom, and set the box on top of it for lunch or drinks. You can use a velcro or rubber strap and attach your rods to the handle of the cooler so you can carry both with one had.
    Rat

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Bag!! Never turn it over and mix it all up again. Get a decent tackle bag and use the side pouches for your goodies. Then get one of those pouches with three rings and ziplocks for storing things the Big George way. Can't go wrong like that. At least in my opinion.

7. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Just looked at the link! That would be a good one. Course if you weren't careful, you could easily get so much in there that it would weigh at least two tons. And carrying something that weighs two tons for very far is a pain in...well you know. LOL But it does look pretty good to me.

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Sounds to me like a 5 gallon bucket would work for you. There are times when that's precisely what I use when I don't need a wide selection of tackle. You can get a plastic snap on lid to keep your stuff dry if that's a concern.

As far as bag Vs. box...hands down I prefer a bag. Used to use boxes...but no more. Like Bryan says....turn the box over...and your gear is so scrambled that you can't find anything when you need it.

Inside my various tackle bags I'll further organize gear by utilizing the see through Plano 3600 and 3700 boxes, and binders as well.

9. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    I think you could kind of rig up another (cheaper) backpack just like that. Use some stowaways and other materials. Anyway, I prefer tackleboxes. Instead of huge boxes with all my tackle in them I only take what I plan on using. I have the old Plano guides series assortment (blue and gray) and there is the extra large one for all my repair stuff, components, spare stuff etc. Then I got the medium one for all my bass/crappie/bluegill/walleye/northern/etc. stuff with the removable stowaways (one for each kind of bait, spinners, worms, cranks, etc.). Then I got another one with a big inside just for catfish (top holds all the hooks, swivels, weights, etc. and bottom can hold stink baits and etc.). Then I got me a real small box that is for bluegill,panfish, crappie and bass with ultralight bait (since you cannot through this bait on a large rod). I only take the tackleboxes that I need that day. Most days I just take some old film canisters full of hooks and weights and some live bait. I am one of those anglers who keeps moving until I find the biggest concentration of fish. Although, a backpack would probably really work for me. Again, I think you could kind of rig up your own backpack for cheaper.

10. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    I'm thinking back pack is the way to go, so I can have my hands free to carry poles. I do think I could set myself up with my own backpack to cut down on costs, too.

11. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a bag with the trays, and I like it better than the box I used to use just for the difference in carrying it alone. My next purchase will be a back pack though because I fish quite a few places where I have to walk quite a ways. A back pack will free up my hands for the rods and the bait bucket

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    BAG, BAG, BAG, BAG, BAG! go with a BAG! (or backpack)

13. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    i will have to agree i have a box and i put it in my backpack its easier to carry and i like to havve both hans free for rods and stuff. Also the i need to get a nother box. I like having hte boxes but i also like to have them in the backpack so i say go for what ever you want and also chose quality.

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I bought a backpack at a Super Wally, that is made for a laptop. I have about 150 hooks with leaders in little baggies, then in sandwich bags according to size and kind, then they are all in a large freezer bag, about twenty sinkers, two flashlights, 1 headlamp, swivels, snaps, protection, off, roll of electricians tape, tape measure, small pair of siscors, needle nose, nail clips, 2 six inch blacklights, I know there is more just can't think, all weighs 10lbs and bag only cost 19.99 plus tax of course. Then I have a small cooler for bait and snacks with 4 frozen 20 oz. bottles of water to keep the bait cool and to drink as I need it. I can fasten it to my other backpack and only have to carry two r&r, two pole holders and a small chair. Not to much to tote. I can also tote my minnow trap if need be, but it doesn't weigh as much as a bottle of water. My bud is going to have to tote the net, he's 20 years younger than me. I do have one of the papers you send in to get the Ugly Stick tote I think it is 7.95 s&h that I won't be using if you would like to have it, elphaba7, because I have the one I like.

15. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I fish in a boat so all I have is four plastic containers that I keep in the bow, loaded with hooks swivels sinkers beads and line. I figure thats all the tackle a catfisherman ever needs.

16. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    BAG. Tried a box once, but it slid around on the boat deck all the time. Lots of side pockes makes for easy to find stuff you use often.

17. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    BAG! need I say more?

18. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have several different systems depending on the fishing situation. If I am fishing a spot I can drive right up to then I have a box with 3 trays that slide out. One tray for hooks, one for weights and one for slip bobbers. The top compartment has a tray that pulls out and I keep a combination of essentials that I use often or that I can throw in my day pack if I am walking in and traveling lite or just moving aways from my main tackel. This box also has a place on the side to store a knife, hook remover, line clipper and other items I would lay down and have a hard time finding! There are two smaller boxes on the lid I use for swivils, mini lioght sticks, and plastic slider sleaves for weights. The box also has a built in light that lets me see in the trays. I also use a fishing vest which I load from the main box, it's handy for fishing in a boat, but can get heavy fast! I also have a soft bag full of rattle traps and crappie jigs and another soft bag for ocean fishing!

Attached Files:

• tb1.jpg
      tb1.jpg
      File size:
      63 KB
      Views:
    • tb2.jpg
      tb2.jpg
      File size:
      26.2 KB
      Views:
  19. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I gave up on boxes a long time ago. A good bag is the way to go! not only are they more spill proof but last a lot longer then any box I ever had. plastic boxes always seem to break and can be very costly to replace if its very big. A well made bag will last a long time and the small plano boxes inside are not nearly as painful to replace as they break

20. Dude

Dude New Member

State:
    Virginia
    go with a small brown paper bag ;)