tackle box or tackle bag or neither

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by thecatman, Sep 15, 2008.

what do you carry your tackle in

1. tackle box

2. tackle bag

3. other please specify

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    ok guys what do you prefer to use a tackle box a tackle bag or something different i use either a tackle bag or throw what i need into a 5gal bucket so i have something to sit on as well lol

2. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I do the bucket thing when I fish bank,but use a bag in my boat.My scale,pliers,camera,etc.in the outer pockets,hooks,weigts,etc.in utility boxes inside.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I use a tackle bag and when pond/light fishin I have a back pack....I dont have the answear to whats best cept put it all in the boat thats my tackle box:wink:Its the best I have found so fer!

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm a box guy, but may have to change...all of the boxes currently being made are cheap, flimsy pieces of crap. I currently have a 3 tray Plano that isn't half the box, structurally speaking, that the older Planos were.

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I use a bag with the Plastic holders in it, My bag holds 8 of those plastic holders and I have my tackle broken down by items such as hooks in one, bobber in one,sinkers in one, Skip jack jigs in one an so forth.

6. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i just got a new box because my old plano lost the handel from the 100 pounds of weights in it and the new box really isnt that good compared to my old one

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use a bag also. I use the same rigs every time I go . I pre tie everything and put them in little zip-loc bags. I take about 20 rigs, some 1.5oz weights and some beads, put them in a small container. That's all I need besides floats maybe. The rest of my bag has the camera, scales, glow stick, etc, etc.

I don't use regular tackle boxes because my stuff gets thrown around pretty good and if I use a box it falls out of the trays. The boxes cause me more dew/rust problems and lack space compared to a good bag. Another problem I figured out is that plastic tackle boxes hold heat inside and cause things to melt easier ; )

I've got my situation down to a science on what I need. If I don't use it ....its gone.

-Jim-

8. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I use an old back pack that I just throw two 3700 size boxes in. The rest of the space is taken up with camera, scale, ipod speakers, fillet knife etc.

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i use a bag that goes over my shoulder
    for the bank when i have to walk along way to my hole

10. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have about everything, tackle bag, box, and an old pink camo backpack. I take my tackle bag most of the time. I like how easy it is to carry and it holds a lot of stuff. The backpack works great if I'm fishing a hard to get to bank or walking a creek.

11. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I actually use both a tackle box and a tackle bag, mmaybe thats why my wife says i have to much fishing stuff. Theres no such thing i can always use more

12. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i use a tackle box still have an old one that my dad bought in the 50's probably never wear that thing out i believe it was from sears

13. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    if i am by my car,i use my box.if i am walking a distance,i throw what i need in a bag,that way i am not loaded down with too much stuff,i am lazy!!!

14. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I use a back-pack for bank fishin and plastic totes for the boat.
    Back-packs are nice. You dont notice the weight, they can hold a lot of gear, and they free up your hands so you can carry even more stuff.:smile2:

15. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Here is a link to our library:

Library Table of Contents

Here is a link to what I think is the best method of tackle storage I've ever used:

Big George's Method

I've used many methods of tackle storage and transport. But this is by far the best I've found. Just go to Bait Pro Shops and buy one of those two sided tackle bags with the ringed zip locks in it and follow George's instructions. Best system I've every used.

16. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    For bank fishing, a backpack is THE way to go. pliers, flashlight, etc., stay there. I have several plano boxes. 2 for cats, 2 for bass, 1 for trout...
    I keep stuff I don't use under the seat of my truck, so it's all there if I change my mind.
    I'll never be this organized, but this looks like the thing to have.http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...58138_100011010_100000000_100011000_100-11-10

My little pack carries everything I need, with room for a couple drinks, some munchies, and a set of Frogg Toggs.

17. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I voted for other, because I use a tackle box, tackle bag and a bucket depending on the situation I'm dealing with. When fishing for cats I use the bag to carry my weights, leaders, pliers, scissors, extra line, etc. The tackle box is for some lures that I use if I'm persueing wipers and white bass. The bucket carries miscellaneous supplies too and sometimes it gives me something to sit on. Sometimes I ususally get carried away and take to much stuff, but it's always better to be prepared!:wink:

18. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Even though I am prepared to fish from shore or from the boat, I have two back packs that I carry when I go catting....one is the main one to use and the other is a bigger selection of cat gear. I cannot put all that I need to do catting in a "tacke box". Got to have something that can carry the stink bait or fresh dead.

So I have found that if I have to walk to shore fish, the back pack is on the back, and the poles are in one hand and the ice chest is in the other... the chair is collapsable and attached to the back pack. When the drinks are done, then its time to go, and the fish, if I keep em are carried in the backpack or where the ice chest was....

bayrunner Ray

19. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I voted other cause I use allof the above. My catin equipment consist of a large soft igloo coller with hooks and ect. coffee cans to carry my weights in.Thats where I put them I pour them. Finally I have a hard regular tackle box that might once in a while blow the dust off of and try for some scaled fish.(BAIT):wink: Oh ya I have one of those space age type chairs also known as a bucket.

20. Riprap

Riprap New Member

State:
    Monticello
    I use bags, boxes and buckets, I always carry to much stuff, my wife tells me we are going to have to get a bigger boat for all my stuff