Tackle box basics?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by nralover, Mar 10, 2009.

1. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Guys, it has come time for me to assemble a dedicated catfish box. The bass box has no room and the panfish box is too small. I am still a newbie to catfishing, so I would like to enlist your advice on the necessary terminal tackle for catfishing. I have access to the Mississippi, Meremac and Big rivers in Missouri, as well as some lakes and ponds. So I need the bare bones stuff for everything from 2 pound channel cats up to the flatheads and such. What does it take to get me started?

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Pretty simple.
    Whatever hooks you choose, from 2/0 to 8-10/O, or bigger. I prefer Kahles but alot of people like Circles.
    You will need some BIG sinkers if you plan on fishin the MO or the MS. Minimum of 6 or 8 up to 16 ozs, or more. I like the banks, flat banks and No Rolls. You might seriously consider pouring your own.
    Of course ponds dont require near the lead. 1-3 oz is usually plenty.
    Swivels if you use want to use them.
    Thats pretty much it. Some beads to protect the knot and some stop knots if you want to fish with a slip float.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Jay - Kyle pretty much hit the nail on the head i just wanted to add i us the little clear boxes to keep my stuff in set one up for lake pond fishing and one for river fishing that way you can grab the one you need and are not luging all that wait thats not needed thoes big sinkers get heavy quick

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    and don't forget a cutbait knive, some scissors, and needlenose.....

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I usually carry a small backpack with as little as possible in it.
    I use small tupperware containers (the wife has a million of them)
    1 for hooks and file type hook sharpener.
    1 for swivels, beads and sinker slides and nail clippers.
    I throw in a knife, pliers and bait cutting scissors and spool of mono for leaders.The spool of mono fit nicely into an old can coolie.
    I keep my sinkers in a crown royal bag. Which I usually put in the 5 gallon bucket. Good luck.

6. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i carry a back pack as well with clear boxes and there are enough pouches and space in it to carry whatever i need.

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'll agree with what everyone else has suggested, IMO, I prefer the soft style tackle bags with the clear plastic trays with dividers. Don't make the first mistake I did & get the ones that hold the trays up on edge. Your sinkers will bust all the dividers out & you've got a real nice mess:crazy:. Get the ones that stack the dividers up flat. I believe Plano Corp. is the manufacture.

Happy Fishing, Elliot

8. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    needle nosefishing pliers are a must you can cut line,crimp fix the boat:smile2: and with any luck unhook a biggun good luck

9. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I know this was a serious question, but I couldn't help chuckle a bit.
    I started out simple.....box of hooks in one pocket.....a pole.....and a little cup of worms.
    After a few years there was so much stuff I needed a yard trailer and a riding lawn mower to pull it. All that stuff at the bait shop just looked so great. Didn't catch many fish, but all that junk caught ME.
    Then I got a BOAT. Man, don't even ASK what's in that thing. I lost my wife in it for two weeks last summer. :eek:oooh::smile2:

10. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Are you fishing from a boat or from the bank?

11. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I gave up the conventional hard tackle boxes and went with a soft bag type. Mine has 2 plastic trays that one has catfishing stuff and the other is whatever else I plan on fishing for. I keep it small and compact because sometimes I jump in with other folks to fish from their boat.

My catfishing plastic box contains: drifting sinkers (8 - 1/4oz eggsinkers strung together as a snake), various hooks and sizes (team catfish, gamakatsu, lazer sharp), peg floats, and barrel swivels.

At times I will toss it all into a backpack as well with lots of side compartments to carry rain poncho, knife, dip bait, pliers, gloves, mosquito repellent, etc.

Hope that kind of helps.

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have 3 tackle boxes 1 for catfish , 1 for bass fishing , 1 for trout , crappie , gills .

The funny thing is I usually take all 3 every time lol .

13. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    My tackle box is the 24 foot floating catchall I drag around behind the truck,..everything else goes in my pockets. :smile2:

14. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I just use a five gallon bucket. I put all my hooks, swivels , and sinkers in a plano box that is waterproof. A coffee can with lid to store my camera, scales,knife, glowsticks, pliers or whatever.And an old towel I fold up and put on top. When I get to my spot I just put my towel down with all my stuff on it, and use the empty bucket to refresh my bait bucket with clean water. Works for me.

15. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Thanks for all the input:) I will be fishing from the bank and from a boat...

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    thats also what i do, free's up a hand to carry bait buckets, i got my backpack from marlboro and it has a insulated center compartment for soda's and food plus blenty of room for the camera,scale,leader line,spare batteries

17. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    scale extra batteries knife hooks sinkers swivels leader material needlenose pliers snack drink rags extra headlamp backup scale can't forget the camera in case you get that fish of a lifetime:wink: I think I have enough room in my backpack to put an insulated lunchbag inside it

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    what kyle said, i got some little ziplock bags i put some hooks and swivels in then i toss them in a 5gallon bucket with the size of sinkers i plan at the time leader line stringer knife and flashlight.

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Don't throw away the medicine capsule bottles you get from the pharmacy. Works great for small terminal tackle. Hooks, beads swivels and weights up to 2 oz. You can write on the labels or remove the labels and add tape to write on.

20. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    i am still somewhat a newbie as well but i will tell you that simplicity seems to work the best i have a small 5$ plano tackle box for all my tackle and a backpack for all the other stuff. and a bucket to keep fish in light weight for bank fishing when traveling through woods and what not good luck bro