Tackle Bags..... How Heavy?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by H2O Mellon, Dec 28, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was just sitting here thinking of the adventures Flathunter & I have had. We've beenthrough a lot of funny stuff & done some real stupid things.... it got me thinking of tackle.

When we started out he had this big yello Bass Pro Shops Boat Bag. I mean it was big. He had ALL his hooks, ALL his sinkers, scales, extra reel water, line, flashlights, etc.... you name it, it was in the bag! We named this "The Yellow Bag of Death". It was SOOOOOO heavy. We carried it around for a year before common sense set & we had the brilliant idea to only take what we need. :what-big:

Which brings me to my next point: I still wonder why we think it's needed to carry 10#'s of sinkers to each trip. :know-big:

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've decided to downgrade this year. Here is what I will be using. I've got my digital scale, extra line, extra reel, game scisorrs, knife in the pocket. In the main area will be hooks, swivels, sinker slides, beads, flashlight, & firearm(s).

3. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I too had the dreaded super magnum tackle bag that held 14 Plano 3700 boxes...it carried nearly everything I owned. I bet it weighed at least 100 lb plus. I just use it for storage now. I carry a small tackle bag for hooks/swivels/floats/ect. and a .50 cal waterproof ammo can to hold my sinkers. It's much easier to find stuff when you need it! :D

4. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Don't laugh too hard. But when I go drift fishing I take a small Plano 3213 with various sizes of circle hooks and different sizes of walking sinkers.

Attached Files:

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    heres some pics i had up on an earlier thread. i take all this fishing with me "just in case". bag weighes 17.5 lbs full.

Attached Files:

• d1.jpg
      d1.jpg
      File size:
      165.9 KB
      Views:
    • d4.jpg
      d4.jpg
      File size:
      188.9 KB
      Views:
    • d5.jpg
      d5.jpg
      File size:
      191 KB
      Views:
  6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    more pics of inside the boxes, the other thread dissapeared earlier

Attached Files:

• d2.jpg
      d2.jpg
      File size:
      185.5 KB
      Views:
    • d3.jpg
      d3.jpg
      File size:
      145.5 KB
      Views:
  7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I now prefer a small backpack, with one box which contains hooks swivels and enough sinkers for the trip.I also carry scales and a knife in it..The Yellow bag of death almost killed me several times, I was packing something like 80 sinkers 3-0zs and up in it along with the other items Bryan mentioned.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dink I see you carry floats while catfishing, so I assume you use them..I have never used a float while cattin.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Hey Ramrod, you are very confused! the stuff in your takle box didn't look like the hooks and weights that I use when fishing for cats, LOL!!!

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i used to do the same thing. i bought the biggest tackle box i could afford from bass pro and loaded it down. like to broke my back carrying that thing. now if i have to walk very far i put all my gear in a backpack. they have them at walmart just for fishing for around $16.00. i just have one of the camping kind. let me tell ya, it makes all the difference in the world. i have also downsized dramatically. i have 2 plano boxes. one with hooks and swivels and the other with lead. i also have a small box with tools and stuff . i also keep xtra lead in my jeep just in case. i got another neat thing at walmart this year. its a tackle box that is also a chair. what will they think of next?

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The hardest trip we made this year was when we waded a very wide part of the scioto carrying way to much stuff, and it was mid august and hot as heck..I was carrying to heavy rod holders, two rods, chair, 5 gallon bucket with live bait, back pack, net, and water. :D

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i bought a kids backpack at wallyworld 2 years ago and it worked out great for long walks. it was a pretty durable bag for 19.00. the zipper busted this summer and i went back to an old bag. i see they make them for fishing now too, might have to check them out.

13. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    gotta love the good ole 5 gallon bucket, cheap, tough, and you can sit on it. what more could cat man want?

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sorry flathunter didnt see your post, i'll use the floats in certain situations mostly while boat fishing against the bank. will sometimes use them too in slack water areas when bankfishing. the cigar (paylake) floats i keep around just in case i get invited to a paylake trip.(not very often)

15. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I carry all my equipment i need in a waist pack that i use when wading. i just change the 2 tackle boxes in it to the ones with my weights and hooks. When going at night I can just put my lantern and my bag of drinks/food right on the belt.

16. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    ive been looking for a backpack/tackle box i havent been able to find any i know there has to be some company makeing them i do alot of walking and i have one of BPS bags it has to weight over 20 pounds i dont even try to zip it up and thats not all my tackle most of it is laying in my car. i have been thinking about makeing my own tackle box one that will carry all my gear and everything else i take i usely go for 10 plus hours. i was thinkin id make it out of plywood and have some big wheels on the one end of the bottom the other end have a retrackable handle along the side have some way to attach my poles and net, maybe have a way to attach a cooler to the top that would be easy to remove and use as a seat. inside i want to have a bunch of slots for my plano tackle boxes to slide in and out. im tried of buying tackle boxes and they wont carry everything i want or they break i could make it my self and know that it will last me a long time and will carry it all i dont like takeing a little tackle i always end up wanting to use something that i dont have.

17. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Bryan, I had the exact same bag from Bait Pro Shops. Works great, but I still had way too many sinkers in it and it weighed about 40 lbs I think! LOL Good bag, but the bottom wore through in just one season of use. Pay the extra for a good quality bag and you'll be much happier. Combine this and George Ostrom's way of tackle storage and you'll find it's extremely convenient. I use the tackle bag to keep the bulk of my tackle in and the George System for my regular use stuff. Click here to see George's way of doing it. BTW, I have a 24 foot pontoon so you can imagine how much stuff I can carry if I don't watch out. LOL

18. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    10-4
    Its also a cooler,bait holder,live well,tackle box,fire extingisher,rod holder,and trash can. :D

19. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    been carrying a five gallon bucket loaded with probably 30 pounds in it, plus two rods, two rod holders, then a cooler with four twenty once bottles of water plus all my bait. I'm on a 20 lb. lift due to injuries, doesn't make sense to tote so much stuff. I never use floats but probably have thirty or more along. Now I have decided to use my old hunting vest, it just needs a few modifications and it will work a lot better and leave my hands to carry rods, holders, cooler and chair.

20. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use a canvas duck bag with two large Phano boxes. One has the sinkers and the other is all swivels and hooks. I use all the small pockets around the inside and out sides of the bag for things like pliers,scale, bobbers, etc...
    The bag weighs about 21 lb. with everything. I bought one of those boat bags so I can just put things in it I need for the boat and not have everything everywhere. :)