Tabletop fusion finally here

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
  2. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    man that's awesome. crazy how ppl can think these things up. i hope they do use it as an energy source to help lower the price of oil products.

3. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Phil,

But can it fuse metals as well as my table top, wire feed, Tractor Supply bought MIG welder? I got priorities here man!!! LOL

Mike

4. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Actually it's good to hear, it puts out more energy than fission.

Ray

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    One day soon someone is gona work out a cheap way to strip the "H" from H2O and with tabletop fusion to engery will get cheaper if the oil companys want it or not.

6. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Maybe they used dilithium crystals? I need more power, Scotty!

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Excellent! Great phind, Phil! Thats Phantastic!

....Now if we could just get Yahoo Serious out there with a guitar to diffuse the heat, we'll all be okay.

8. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    that's funny sal:)
    i used to sell fireworks for years and a friend of mine liked to call my stand "phabulous phils phantastic fireworks phactory":D

one thing we have to keep in mind here: this IS NOT cold fusion. there is a lot of promise for tabletop, but it will still be years, IMO, before the consumer sees a direct benefit, if ever.

9. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I've heard of laptop fusion.... but that involves superglue and a stripper at a bachelor party.

LOL-
    (thank you... I'll be here all week!)

chances are, tabletop fusion will work for the sake of the near term benefit using the new smaller scaled semiconductor technology on the larger semiconductors and a series of extremely large computers to test the properties of masses of atoms that they cannot currently acelerate to high enough speeds. This is sorta the goal of the superstring theorists- Getting accelerations high and accurate enough to test sub-Planck lengths and heavyweight collisions that the big systems dont have the technology to do.

I was very intrigued by this... and though I made a silly joke out of it, I will watch it closely. I am still holding to my guns about learning quantum and string theory physics this year. Got the second book from Brian Greene for my birthday- "the Fabric of the Cosmos". I have about 50 pages left in "Elegant Universe" and though Ill have to read it once more, I am getting a rough picture of what the study has evolved from and what to expect in the next book.

10. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    sal, maybe you should send the quantum books to me after you finish them - i too, enjoy learning about superstring:)