Table Rock Flathead Help

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by strmchzr, May 11, 2008.

1. strmchzr

strmchzr New Member

State:
    kansas
    Guys,

I've been on a good run of bad luck catching flatheads at Table Rock for the past few years. I'm looking for some advice or pointers that ya'll might have to get the flats biting.

I primarily set trot lines for flatheads (occasionally pole fish) around the Shell Knob area. I catch a fair amount of channels, but haven't had the right recipe for flats.

Should I focus on deep water off bluffs or shallower gentle slopes? I usually try a variety of baits (goldfish, crawdads, nightcrawlers). Is my bait selection part of the problem?

2. whisker_chaser

whisker_chaser New Member

State:
    Missouri
    is that night crawlers and crawdads are not good flatty bait especially for set lines. Try goldfish, perch, bullheads. Good luck

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If I was you most of the flatties that I have caught in the past I have caught in deeper waters, and the bait that I caught them on at the time was small blue gills, good luck to ya hope ya start catching you some.

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I haven't fished Table Rock in well over twenty years but spent every summer while I was a kid fishing that lake. Grand Parents, both sets had homes right on the lake. If I was trotline fishing I'd focus closer to shore running lines close to those rock bluffs and other other structure. If a creek channel or river channel is close all be better. I wouldn't waste my time with crawdads or worms. Fish around the docks and you'll catch all the perch you'll need.

5. strmchzr

strmchzr New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thanks for the replies!!!

Based upon trial and error, I only use black perch for bait when river fishing back home. My largest flat caught on a pole was actually caught on a nightcrawler while fishing the Neosho river after a heavy rain. This probably was dumb luck, but makes since to me during runoff situations. Also, I totally agree that crawdads are useless for flats.

Catfishcentral is correct that there's an endless supply of bluegills around boat docks to catch for bait. My problem with bluegills is that most of them seem to die soon after hooking them to a line. Plus, I can't keep the turtles off them. I usually hook my bluegill throught back slightly below the dorsal fin. Is there a less lethal area to hook a gill?