Table legs

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by CountryHart, Jul 5, 2008.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm in the process of making a kitchen table. I took plywood and framed it with 2x2's on 1 foot centers, glued my cedar to it and used a trim nailer to shoot it down thru the 2x2's. Everything is looking good, but i'm afraid i got the cart before the horse.I'm wanting to use cedar poles for the legs and can't figure how to fasten them to the top. I think i can take a saw and get the tops of the poles square, and maybe drill the holes for cross braces with a hole saw and a spade bit.
    Any suggestions will be appreciated and next time, i'll plan before just jumpin in head first.

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    John, do you have a skirt under your table? I usually fasten my table legs to the skirt board. If you are using poles you may have to cut a flat spot on two sides at the top of the leg to go flat against the skirt. Another thing you might want to do is use dowels through the table top into the legs.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Yes Jim, i made it with skirts. I think i'll screw it thru the skirts and also thru the top. I'll just countersink them and plug the holes. I'm also cutting 2 sides square like ya mentioned so i can have flat surfaces. Thanks for your advise.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Mr. Jim, i used your idea about the legs and it's good an stought. Rex, i used the sealer like ya said(3 coats) and just got the 1st. round of Spar Urethane on it. Cher acts like she wants me to wear the brush out when she seen the 1st. coat. I'll get some pics up tomorrow if nothing stops me. Thanks fellows, i appreciate your help.
    Now she wasn't a poster bed made with cedar post:angry: I love messin with it but my fishin is gettin sorta stale.:wink:

5. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    John, we are looking forward to your pictures. Now a poster bed made out of cedar is going to be one sharp piece of furniture and your wife will love the dickens out of it. Maw wants one made out of primitive logs but I ain't so sure I can find any for that.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If it wasn't so far i would bring you the logs and watch you so i wouldn't mess it up. I got a plan that i'm going by on this however. Cut plan and step by step instructions, cept i'm using cedar poles rather than milled material.Again thanks and as soon as i can borrow my neighbors cam, i'll post pics. My kidlet seemed to have misplaced our camera. I'm gonna kill that boi.:angry: