Table finish

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by CountryHart, Jun 16, 2008.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I just cut the top (red cedar) for a kitchen table. I jointed the edges and plan on gluing them together and putting it on 3/4 plywood. Does anyone have suggestions as to what to finish this top with. I was thinking of perhaps the stuff they put on gym floors. I like the looks of poly, but not sure if it's durable enough for a table top? Thanks in advance, i'm a rookie and need all the help i can muster.:wink:

2. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    we use to use polyurathane but discovered spar holds up much better .we use min-wax products. i have heard a lot of good things about cabots spar urathane but it is pricey. i like the satin finish and my partner likes high gloss. the finish oh rocky's table is satin spar urathane. we built a service counter/bar for a resteraunt in springdale and used spar urathane on it. it is holding up really good when you consider the amount of use it gets.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks Rex, do i need to steel wool between coats?Also with cedar is there a puddy to use for knots?

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    hand sand with 220 grit sand paper between coats. as far as putty for the knots i would just let it go and call it rustic. when i do putty cedar i use the dust from the belt sander and mix it with titebond II this does a good job at sealing cracks and loose knots. one good tip i have for you is before you put either spar or poly urathane on your project put a coat of sanding sealer on it. you can either buy sanding sealer or make your own. if you make your own cut urathane with thinner at a rate of 60% urathane/40% thinner. brush on and let dry then sand it with 220 grit on a palm sander or by hand with a sanding block. the sanding sealer will seal/close the grain and give you a more even finish on your project. sanding sealer also should be used on hardwood projects before staining. you get more uniformity in the color with sanding sealer. i personaly recomend purchaseing sanding sealer as opposed to mixing your own.

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    one more for you John. it's been my experience with cedar that the grain is going to raise for the first coat even if you use sanding sealer. if you use steel wool your sanding work is going to be much harde than if you use 220 sand paper. you could use a palm sander to sand after applying sanding sealer but i recomend hand sanding between coats of urathane.you could probably use steel wool after the 2nd coat of urathane if your not satisfied with the finish and want a 3rd coat. now i have a question .are you going to build your own chairs to match the table?

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks Rex:big_smile: As for chairs, i'm gonna build a bench instead. We seldom use a table and without chairs, i'll have more room in the kitchen. I'll buy some sealer and spar. I appreciate the advise. After seeing your work, i know it's sound advise.