T-Bone's Jon Boat & Trailer Project

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by T-Bone, Nov 12, 2005.

1. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey ya'll, I thought I'd share with ya'll my project. Got a 15ft. Aulmacraft with a home made trailer, 15hp Evinrude, and old trolling motor off of E-Bay two months ago. The trailer made the 181 mile trip to my home and there is where it died. The axle broke in the driveway (thank God it made it home,before this happened). We had planed to use our boat funds for boat mods. instead I had to drop about $380.00 into rebuilding the trailer. My son and I replaced the broke axle with a new one, along with new springs and hangers, new heavy duty fenders, son's wheels and tires from his pick up,new lighting kit, primer, and rubberized undercoating for a top coat. I know, rubberized undercoating for a top coat, that's weird ! My thought was, it only cost a few bucks a can and is easy to apply and easy to touch up and besides, if it will hold up in the wheel wells of cars and trucks, then it should do great on a trailer. Take a look at the before and after pics. My after pics are kinda dark and the trailer really wasn't finished before these pics, but ya will get the idea of where it is now.
    I had planed to use the money to put a deck and floor in the boat and rewire it, but have since ran out of money. Then along came a good customer of mine, who is the shop Teacher at a local High School. I told him what had happened and low and behold he says the kids needed a project. Well I jumped all over that idea. You see, I have been looking for a welder that can weld aluminum, and was shocked to find out how much they get to repair a small stress crack in the bow of the boat. Also, I really don't have a good place to work on the boat and I didn't want to use plywood for the floor or deck, but can't aford aluminum for what I wanted. So the Teacher says "No Problem", we were donated a load of aluminum from the Super Collider Conductor Center. (This was a Gov. project that was going to study atoms colliding at super speeds in a 12 mile long tunnel, however, the project folded).
    So far all I have had to buy for this part of the project is a box of rivets and some L channel for the build. Maybe I can get them to paint the boat camo also;) .......

Attached Files:

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Here's a few more.

Attached Files:

3. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    t-bone, nice project. I'm glad you made it home before the trailer broke. :)

4. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    You ended up with a good looking trailer! I wish mine had that nice of a paint job/ undercoating on it. When you put it through some heavy use let us know how it holds up. If it works well I will do the same to mine. I get tired of the bland dirty white that mine has.

5. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I got my boat back from the High School kids on Friday. Check out the job they have done. The factory deck was small and has floation in it. No room for storage. Now I have a huge deck with floation and storage. 5ft.8ins. worth. Plenty of room for pole holders. They also gave me a floor. All was built from T-20 or T-30 aircraft aluminum. A very nice job these kids did. They all got an A+ from the teacher and an AAA+++ from me.:D .........

Check out the before and after pics. I posted a few before on the first post of the trailer my son and I repaired. Can't wait to carpet and wire this puppy.
    Thanks for lookin'

Attached Files:

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Oh by the way AC1108, the trailer coating is holding up well. I've trailered the boat about 100 miles showing family and friends and the rubberized undercoating is doing great. I know you want to know about long term hold out and I'll give you a shout when that time comes. Here's the rest of the pics. Thanks again for lookin', I'm proud of how this boat is coming along.

Attached Files:

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    so far so good!!! looks like them kids did a fine job, send them to my house when your done with 'em !! lol...but seriously looks like your right on track with your winter time project.

8. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    t-bone, man that's nice. People forget about those tech students working on things like that. I had a pickup truck one time and had them paint it for me and man it turned out really nice. I got it gone for $200.00

9. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    The boats looking good there T Bone.. when you get ready for the anchor system let me know i'll get some measurements off the system i have and see if you can use it for your boat.. kenny

10. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Looking good there T bone. Yeah when your done with them send em' my way.lol. Looks like you will be floating in style come spring time. :0a22:

11. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Thanks for the kind word guys. Between my kid and those school kids, I should wind up with a real nice fishin' boat. Now I need a second job to finish my project. The ol'lady says no mo money until after Christmas.:sad:........ :rolleyes: :0a5:

12. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    T-bone,

That is a nice boat. I like the raised seating area up front. It will be a cat catcher for sure.

Tom

13. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    T-bone you've done a fine job on the boat and trailer, looks like she will fish good. Mac

14. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Tbone, that is a fine looking boat buddy, I would be proud of a boat that looks that good. We are happy for you. Now go out there and hang a monster. ;)

15. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Thank you very much for all the kind words. My son and I are having a blast doing this. When I get some more money, I'll post some new updates.

Everyone, I hope ya'll all have a Wonderful Thanksgiving.

16. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    t-bone, I look forward to seeing your boat project at the texoma gathering in april. You'll have to take me out in it!

17. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Good Job, and thanks for sharing all the info and picture's :rolleyes: with us,

18. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    any updates yet?

19. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Merle, Thank you for asking. We loaded up and went out to Purtis Creek last Friday morning. Keep in mind this is the first trip. Still no coatings or carpet on the boat so we just used big door mats to keep the glare down. didn't take the 15hp, just used the trolling motor. The lake is way way down. The boat and trailer towed very well, even though I pulled it with my lil s-10 / 4 cyl. I backed the boat down the ramp and had to get out of the truck and climb on the trailer. Seems the bow of the boat got stuck on the front bunk board. As I was pushing with my right hand the boat came loose, and my thumb was smashed between the boat and bunk. Bleeding on everything. I'm sure I needed stiches BUT I had Fishin' to Do. My buddy first-aided me, and off we went.
    The wind was blowing aleast 20mph. White capping the whole day. My minn kota pushed the boat around from 7:30am till 3:00pm like a champ. I love this boat. Didn't get wet at all. Handled the waves with ease. The boat sits up out of the water about 14" or better. At one point we were floating in less than 6" of water. I have soooo much room in this boat. The new front deck is sooooo BAD A$$. Both myself and buddy stood on it and even had room to cast. Very nice addition. I'm very pleased with how well the boat worked.
    NOW THE BEST PART OF ALL: Christmas came and my son hands me a gift and tells me it's from the dogs and him. I was thinking a new set of life jackets. Turns out to be a Humminbird Depth Finder 535 and a waterproof switch panel. S-W-E-E-T !!!!!! I love my Son ! Man, was I shocked. This boy is only 18 y/o and gave this gift to me.
    So next on the list to do will be run the wiring harrness and get a bilge pump / icechest air pump / lights/ acc. sockets/ hook up the depth finder get some seats in there and either carpet or some sort of spray on liner. I'm thinking of using SEM Bed liner. It's tuff and felxible and does not slip when wet. Also I think it will clean up better than carpet.
    Oh by the way. Didn't get a bite all day:sad: ........ But that was fine. We really went out to test the boat for leaks and see how well it did. Happy to report NO LEAKS and the boat is great. Did I mention I LOVE IT ?
    Here's a pic of me and my truck and boat. The next one is of my thumb. Might not be able to see the damage. I can tell ya from experience with stiches it should of been about a 15 stich or more. Very ugly..... I holding the skin up with my index finger.

Attached Files:

20. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Well it hurt pretty good. Maybe not 15 stiches but aleast 8 or 9. Glad to say, the skin has not died yet. and it's healin' up pretty good.