T-bird

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Okccatman, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    We are going out to T-bird to stock up on some eaters. We will be fishing by tube along the damm. If your out there give us a holler.
    David Frantz

2. baiter25

baiter25 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i used to live by lake t bird and fish it everyday, im gonna say about 10 years ago my dad used to take me there, we had light poles and tackle and were fishing with shad filets on the botton about 20 ft deep off of tecumpseh rd. we had big cats biting stripping the line clean off our little zebco 33 reels and could do nothing about it, well the followng year we had bought bigger tackle and went back looking for them and never got another bite like that, and havent ever since, im not sure what it was, either the big cats knew we couldnt handle them or something drastic has happened to the catfishing in that lake, back then off doughbait alone we used to catch stringer fulls of channels between 1 and 5 lbs. that has stopped and have not had another night anywhere near like those since, does anyone happen to know what has happened to thunderbird lake? ive also noticed most of the plantlife has died in the lake, if anyone knows what happened to it let me know.

3. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    There is alot of grass and plant in it. The level is low and it is very noticable. We do pretty good there when we get out on the water. It is also a great lake for crappie with a limit of 37 and no size limit. So you can take the tiny ones and send them out on jugs and keep the slabs to eat. But back to the cats..... you can still tear them up on the damm with dough bait. We filled a basket in a short time. We did drop a small bag of chum though. Threre are some more spots that are great but I cant give away all my secrets :)
    Until my buddy moved by there last year I hated that lake but now with his new found knowledge of the lake I am really enjoying it. I am just waiting to catch one of those saugeyes ( cross of a sauger and a walleye ). I hear they fight great and with light tackle it is a thrill.

4. baiter25

baiter25 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well, maybe the lakes picked up a little, like i said i been fishing there all my life, and it just when dead one year on me and never seemed to pick back up, if its getting better, im real glad to hear it, but to the sawgeye, yeah they fight, but its not a fight thats a whole heck of a lot diffrent than a decent sized bass, which should be all the fight you need huh, but the taste, they are hands down the best eating fresh water fish i have ever tasted, once i ate one i had a hard time not selling off my cattin gear and switchin on over to fishin for sawgeye year around, but i just love the way i can go out cattin and relax while im fishin, fishing shouldnt be work. and flipping a lure all day gets old to me after a while.

5. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    We should probaly get together and do some fishing on T-bird. I am available any Sunday and can skip my weekly round of golf on Saturday. So just let me know and we can take it from there. My boat is out of commision until next spring(need to rebuild transom) So we can fish from shore or tube unless you have a boat.

6. baiter25

baiter25 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    yeah we may have to do that, im not off on the weekends right now, but my days off will change shortly, maybe ill get lucky and get a weekend day

7. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I'm self employed so I have a little bit of freedom with my schedule. Just let me know when is good for you.
    David Frantz

8. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    dave I've been itching to fish T-Bird for awhile. Fished under the double bridge this spring and caught a few crappie. Man im sick and tired of hefner. Partly due to the hefty fine for netting shad. I have a boat. I would like to hit up T-Bird sometime.

9. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hey Baiter. What was up with your photo if you dont min me asking?

10. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Matt, Name the day and I would be happy to go out and wet a line with you. I know of a BUNCH of crappie spots there too. I hear of 10-20# blues being caught by the dam on jugs baited with minnows. I have 3 really good friends that live withing a few miles of the lake and they fish it more days that most people work.Today would not be good for me but tommorrow would be as long as I get all my "honey-do's" done today.
    I don't care for hefner much either but I have seen reports that the sand bass are running good there.
    I'm currious.... what kind of boat/motor setup do you have..... mine is a 1969 Glasstron 14 foot fiberglass v-hull with a 1954 15HP evinrude. I also have a 1975 55HP chrysler for it but it needs a new lower unit and I need to rebuild the transom before I run it too.

11. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    My boat is a 17 ft. Tracker riveted aluminum utility boat. 25 hp honda motor. Next thursday or the weekend would be good. provided my work responsibilities do not interfere.

12. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Next weekend sounds good. we can iron out the details later in the week

13. baiter25

baiter25 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well trimble i had a cartoon avatar as my picture, it was made on a yahoo messenger, i guess they didnt likeit so they put that thing up and sent me an email stating what the picture rules were and that cartoons are not allowed, so now i got to dig through my picture box and find one with me holding a catfish ;) anyways i can tell you that t-bird is full of crappie and twin bridges there were you last fished is also a fairly decent noodling hole. and not a bad shad nettin spot either.

14. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Last time I fished the bridges there was too much boat traffic. I think it was the weekend of that fish-off for MDA a few years back. I got a spot that holds crappie all year long. If it was a little bit deeper aroung hog creek I think that area would be great. good crappie off of Zoom beach I think it is called. Lots of sunken trees around there about 50 foot from shore. gotta go to work........
    David Frantz

15. Fordman

Fordman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    David, Sorry that I did not get back with you on the phone. I wound up working both days and did not wet a line at all. Anyways, I'm off to the woods tonight for some archery season fun. I should be back on Sunday. Mike.

16. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    That's OK Mike. We need to get back over to Arcadia soon. Crappie are great there from the reports I have seen. I would imagine that it is the same at T-bird too.
    Are you planning on attending Keystone this coming year?