Synthetic Motor Oil or not

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Darren Twellman, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Darren Twellman

Darren Twellman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What is everyones opinion on using synthetic motor oil in the new Suzuki 4 strokes? The boat dealer did not recommend that I use synthetic motor oil and the owner’s manual doesn’t say one way or the other. I my self think 100% synthetic would be the best to use but wanted to get more opinions and maybe pros and cons to both.

What is everyone else using in their motors? Sorry if this has been discussed in a previous thread…..if so a link would be fine.

Thank you
    Darren

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I wouldn't use it in a new car.
    You gotta get the thing broke in first:smile2:

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Mark's right, you have to let the rings, cylinders, valves and seats, seat in with conventional oil first. If you dont do it first, you never will get em to seat in and it will smoke and burn oil like its an ol wore out motor.
    In an car or truck motor, I would say yes without a doubt. The synthetic oils are far better than convetional oils. I can personally testify to that. But in an outboard motor I'm not so sure about. The point being the oils film strenth, film coat left on parts for corrosion resistance. Synthetics are very slick and thin. Cars and trucks are mostly driven daily or at least weekly, so they are getting recoated with oil on a reg basis before they are shut down. If an outboard wasnt used for an extended period of time the super slick oils film may drain away and let flash rust attack machined parts. I would definately do some research on this before making a decision to switch after breakin. Good luck.

4. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    break in periods are simply a time period for microscopic edges to be worn off, (seated In) Now synthetic oils are rated by the same viscosity and weight ratings of organic ( crude ) oils, and are more costly for longivity reasons. here is the real difference in organic oils verses synthetic,,,,, when organic oils come in contact with engine parts that are too hot for them to remain oil they burn just a little bit,,, when organic substances burn what is left is carbon ( this also includes gasoline when burned leaves some carbon,,,,, carbon is harder than most metals and contribute to wear,,,, this is where a good quality filter comes into play,,,,,,, now about synthetics not only do they have a higher "burn temp" by a small margin, they also do not produce carbon as a by product of being burned. therefore the total environment remains cleaner, in reference to carbon particles circulating in the oil until trapped by the filter. Generally speaking synthetic oils are very similar to organic in their ability to lubricate, but they are superior to organics at staying clean longer.... Now about 2 cycle oils This is my opinion as well, since oil in a 2 cycle environment is not reused I cannot see much use in paying more for an oil that cannot lube very much better than organics

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Dadgum Ron, thast was very cornfusion :smile2:but I under stood every word of it. Now that is scary:crazy:

6. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Bubbakat--that little girl you are holding has a look on her face as if she just read ron's post:smile2::smile2::smile2:

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Dave that little girl is my last grand child and there won't be any more and I have her totally ruined. She comes with a complete set of attitudes.:big_smile::wink:

8. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I would probably run what the manufacturer calls for. They may try to void your warranty if something happened and they found you using something different, that was not recommended.

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree with Ross, go with what the manufacture recomends .

10. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    After tearing down v-twin motors that used and ones that didn't use synthetic oil I've been a big believer in synthetic oil for several years. I also believe in running fossil oil first and changing to synthetic at the first 5K oil change. Also 2-strokes foul way less plugs with synthetic pre-mix or injector oil I believe.

11. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    Hey Now that is a big Plus !

12. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    Take her picture and make it a smiley for " Cornfused " :wink:

BTW I installed the spell checker,,, anybody have a Confusion checker :confused2::confused2: