Symmetrical or Asymmetrical?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ladyfish50, Jun 21, 2008.

1. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What type rack do you prefer, or think looks the best, on a buck? A nice even symmetrical, balanced rack, or one with lots of stickers, "trash", etc? My 7pt & my husband's 9pt last year were both very balanced, basket-rack type antlers. But the ones that always catch my eye on TV or in magazines are those with all that "junk"; stickers, etc. I guess you could say, "I like my deer a little on the trashy side"!!!:smile2:

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good question. I know I like mine on the trashy side!:smile2:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like both,Roxie,as long as theyre big,I have killed tons of little forkhorns and I still will,but if the biggun strolls by,I'll take him ,nothing like a nice rack as a bonus .

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like the symetrical ones, just looks better to me. Though i wont pass by a monster if its trashy. The trashiest buck I ever took only cost me 4 pts. I dont know if its in the genetics but Ive never seen a real freaky looking buck all have been nice 8 and 10 pointers unless a point has been broken off of by fighting.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    What would you call these? :eek:oooh:

Attached Files:

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

One's a unideer, and the other has somethin' in his eye. :wink:

Rox, as you know I'm not a hunter......the deer Dad killed and had mounted, their racks were all symmetrical. I accepted that as the way they CAME at the time :big_smile:. I still like symmetry, prolly always will in some cases, but I'm like you. The ones I'm drawn to and like lookin' at pictures of are the weird, unusual ones. Just like Brian said, most of 'em DO seem to be normal :smile2:; something to pique my interest is cool.

7. KatfishKyle

KatfishKyle New Member

State:
    Wayne Co. Ohio
    Typical is better if you are going for "score" cause non-Typical will cost you points, but I still love to see those big trashy gnarly lookin things. My buddy last year got a 14pt non-typical that grossed right around 160 P&Y, it would have been bigger but it had a lot of small stickers which caused deductions. 5 and 1/2 year old big beautiful mature whitetail, dressed out around I wanna say 190 somewhere in there. And the crap of it is he was hunting 75yds to the right of me and the deer was heading my way, if only I didnt let him come along that day :angry::big_smile::smile2:

8. Johny Buck

Johny Buck New Member

State:
    virginia
    A clean long tined buck is pretty and a trashy heavey horned buck is great also. I just want one of the above standing still in a shooting lane at 15 yards and I'm one happy camper!!!!!!!! Come on October!!!!!!!!

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I like em all but dream of getting a decent sized non typical or atleast a drop tine. Typicals are almost a dime a dozen but non typicals are always one of a kind and stand out.

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would rather have a symetrical rack. but, If it's a scoring deer, a nontypical will do. honestly, I'll shoot them when they're young to get them out of the gene pool. I shot one one time that had a small basket rack on one side and a cooking spatula on the other. I'm sure it's not something that he will outgrow, and he'll never be a trophy. so, I killed it, and filled the freezer. on the other hand. if it's something that i think might grow into a trophy, like one with a bunch of stickers, or abnormally large mains, I'll let him walk. the deer I have in my profile you really must see in person to appreciate. if examined at the right angle. both sides become one. both sides grew perfectly identical. not as big as i'd dreamed of, but an awesome trophy for me.

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    ohh I also forgot to add that I dont like the b & c scoring system of deductions. Why should the be penalized for being what they are? SCI is better. No deductions for uneven lengths, kickers ...ect.

12. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the responses so far; sounds like a pretty well-rounded group! Keep it coming....!

13. coalminer78

coalminer78 New Member

State:
    Lincoln, IL
    A balanced rack is a thing of beauty.

14. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like them all. They're all beautiful. However, I tend to have more interest in admiring the oddball ones that are unique. There's something about one being different that gives it more "looking at time". Each is unique, but some more unique than others.

15. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This deer was so old it had almost no teeth. I bow killed it at the last of daylight. I had it mounted because it was unusual. I prefer a big fat doe personally now a days. I gun killed what I thought was the biggest doe ever this past year. Turned "her" over and she had balls. Just nubs no antlers at all. I'll kill an exceptional mature buck otherwise I'm a meat hunter. To each his or her own.

Attached Files:

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    A deer with a large rack is awesome! Typical or non-typical makes no difference to me. I know the gentleman that shot the World Record non-typical deer with a bow. His name is Del Austin and he shot the buck known as OL' MOSSY HORNS in OCT. of 1962. Del lived in Hastings, Ne. before moving to Kansas. This buck scored an amazing 279 7/8" non-typical points. I've seen the original and replica mounts of this deer. I can honestly say this buck is truly incredible. A buck of this caliber would be my dream and I'm probably speaking for most of the deer hunters out there. If I ever had the opportunity to see or even kill a buck of this size, I would be the happiest man ever!!:wink::big_smile:

BIG BUCKS RULE!!
    Mark..

17. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I had the same experience last winter. I shot a deer with my bow, that I had thought was a big doe. Come to find out it was a button buck.:crazy: The nubs were covered up by the excess hair that had grown during the winter. That deer was only 10 yds. away when i shot it.

18. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've been tricked too. Around here, the button bucks usually run between 40 to 55lbs. A few years ago I arrowed the biggest doe in a small heard. When I got down and got to her, discovered that it was not a her, but a he. I though my eyes were playing tricks on me and I had made an error in judging the size until I got it to the check station and it weighed 80lbs! That's the typical size of the larger does in that area. Sure with I coulda seen those buttons, he'd a been a bigun!

19. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think anyone who hunts long enough will take a button buck they thought was a doe, I know I have. Fortunately the way our regs read here in KY it is considered a non antlered deer, doesnt matter if its male or female.

20. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I know I've taken a few "does" that turned out to be "buttons". I've finally learned that, where we hunt, if a young looking "doe" comes out alone, more often than not, it's a button buck. If I'm not sure, I'll just let it go so I don't take a chance on taking out a youngun.