Swivels

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by flathunter, Nov 5, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I highly Reccomend Berkly Mc Mahon swivels in 200-lb test.I get them in bulk from catfish connection. 144 for around 14 bucks, never had one fail me yet!

2. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana

I just ordered some of the 150-lb ones. They have a very good price.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I cant say I've ever broke a swivel before. I've had snap swivels come unhooked when crappie fishing needless to say I can't stand to use them. Id hate to loose a favorite lure or big fish because of a snap coming unhooked. Barrel swivels are pretty mutch a must though. I've been wanting to give ball bearing swivels a try but getting snagged alot could get pricey.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    On the size swivel used for bass fishing and eater channel cats, it takes about two pounds of thrust to turn the swivel. Ball bearings take almost nothing. Not all ball bearing swivels are equal. The Sampo's are the best, but are very expensive. With snap swivels, the cheap ones will come undone. But, Berkley makes a good snap, I think its a coastlock. There are several types of snap locking systems out there. The Spro swivels are also supposed to be good ones. For the most part, I see the swivel in channel cat fishing to mainly act as a stopper for the sinker in a Caroina style rig. My biggest cat to date has been under 10lbs, but I can see that the swivel may help with line twist when hooking and bringing in a large cat. Don't know if its still in print, but the best book on terminal tackle is Hook, Line, and Sinker, by Gary Soucie. My copy doesn't have anything on circles and kahles, they weren't on the market when the book was published, but the information about swivels, rigging, and sinkers is, for the most part, much the same as today.

5. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I never paid that much attention to my swivels before. I guess never having one break will allow some complacency.

Ray

6. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    How many of you actually pay attention to the test ratings of your swivels? I usually don't but the more I think about it, I guess maybe I should...What do you think?

7. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Being part of the "terminal rig" I tend to pay attention to the # rating, that is the way I buy them and mark my swivel box. I try to use on rod/reel rigs swivels equivalant to my line # weight depending on my rig set up. I used to never pay attention until I realized I had broken several swivels. Then I realized I needed to buy "quality" swivels instead of what was cheap or on sale. If I am going to spend money fishing, them at least make my purchase worthwhile. Like the old saying, "YOU GETS WHAT YOU PAY FOR". Nuf said.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I use small swivels. And have never broke one. Even While using them on my trot lines.
    The ones I use are rated for 75 lbs. And dought you could ever break one with a rod and Reel.
    I have had a trot line hung up. Tie the line off to the boat. and have the hook or line break befor the swivel ever thought about breaking.

But you could find a bad one .
    PEte

9. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I only Roscoe use Roscoe swivels in 600lb test rating. They are the ultimate, have yet to try the mcmahon swivels.

10. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    The only swivel I have seen break was a snap swivel on a halibut 200+ lbs. As far as barrel swivels are concerned I do not pay much attention I just use what I feel is the right size for the right job. Of course I also like fishing my ultra light uglystick with 4lb mono for 5-10lb channels in calm water, just makes it more interesting.

11. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I fish with 20lb line and 17lb leader, so I don't need a real big swivel, but then I know they are a lot bigger than I need. They are an inch long and quite heavy. If I lose anything I hope the lead breaks, then all I lost was a little line and a hook. Sinker is on it's 10lb leader so know it will go first.

12. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    What kind of three way swivels do you guys use?

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i use the cheapest swivels and 3 ways i can find. i loose too much to buy good stuff, and ive never broke one either.

14. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I've noticed that some of you guys use swivels that are rated a lot higher than that of your line...Is there a reason for this? Just curious...

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No reason, just want to be safe, the 200-lb test swivels I use are fairly small.

16. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    To me it doesnot matter about the line compared to the swivel. You wil always have a week spot, why let the swivel be the week spot. Its gonna be hard pressed to find a fish that is gonna break 40lb big game or 100lb powerpro using a 600lb swivel and a 10/0kahle. The knot is the week spot, I use the double uni knot and have not had any problems.....YET.

17. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I use the 200lb test swivels, have always worked great for me. :D

18. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use the 150 and 200lb test swivels and love them. Why such a big te4st rating? I don't know, but they are not that big really.;)

19. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Thanks for the tackle review Jack, I was looking at those the other day.:)

20. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I have great luck with the Berkley 100lb swivels they work really good.