swivel

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by shingman6, Dec 11, 2007.

1. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    what brand name swivel do yall use and what size?

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i lioke to use a ball bearing swivel, big ones cause i am using large weights, but they get expensive and it can be costly to keep losing them in the rocks and brush. so i keep a back up of regular large brass swivels for when i know i am going to be fishing around lots of rocks and brush. but whn i am fishing i heavy current i will put on the ball bearing swivel to keep line twist down.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use Spro Power swivels in size #2. They are rated at 230 lb. test. You can get a 50 pack for around $10. They have never failed to turn freely under a load. Welcome to the BOC/SOC.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Cheap ones! I have tried ball bearing swivels only to find sand gets in there and they don't turn anyways. As long as that swivel is rated for around 200 pounds or so my line is going to break first.

5. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I use Eagle Claw #1 brass swivels. They are high quality and inexpensive. I am exclusively a channel guy so I don't need to go any bigger. These work when they need to, hold up to heavy current, and don't break the bank when you lose one.

I stand behind them all the way.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i use the biggest swevil that my wally world carries.most times its over kill but ive never had a swevil come in to.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Remember when using swivels it has nothing to do with them breaking. If that was the case any cheap walmart swivel will do fine. A fish will be hard pressed to break any swivel. The test of a good swivel is will it turn freely under a load from a big fish. If not you might as well not even use one.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Probably true but you are going to be hard pressed to find a swivel that is going to work well in a sandy fast current river. The sand is fine grain and will work it's way in there so it just wont turn like it should. Something is better then nothing though.

9. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I use the biggest swivel wally world has too. never have any problem with them. i think i get like 15 of them for 1.50 or something cheap and work good for me.

10. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I use offshore angler 4/0 barrel swivel (350lb) the large gauge is less likely to cut your line just think about it.

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Last year I was using the Tsunami Brand Swivels for the most part. I have used the K-mart/Wal-Mart ( Basically Eagle Claw) with out problems before.

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Not sure of the brand name. All I know is they are the biggest ones I can find at my local bait shop. About 2 inches long( Barrel Swivel) Brass. They work great!