Swivel or no swivel

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by beakus, Apr 6, 2007.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i was just reading an artical in the catfish mag. on bottom bouncing,and noticed one of the rigs they didnt use a swivel,do you think you get much line twist without one?if not i figure thats 2 less knots to worry about and tie each time.

2. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Im a believer in swivels but only if they are not attached w/knot. Rather bend hook to permanantly attach the swivel.

3. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I don't use a swivel on the rig I use and haven't had any problems with line twist. I agree that the fewer knots you have, the better.

4. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    This is the rig I use...

Attached Files:

5. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Boy, the print sure is small when you have to shrink the image to 500x400. :crazy: Sorry about that. I could send a full size pic through email if necessary...

6. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    What is the straw for? Is that to keep the drop line and main line from twisting together?

Just a few questions I had

Dru:eek:oooh:

7. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    The straw is to keep the bait away from the swivel and main line. I prefer not to use the straw but have noticed that I get more hits on the rigs that have the straw. I've caught lots of fish on the rig without the straw and just last year started comparing the two. Some people put a piece of cork on the straw to float the bait away from the swivel. I've not tried that.

8. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    when push comes to shove a swivel is needed i suggest use one because the catfish is a line twister

9. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    i have to agree. it will save you alot of trouble with your line.

10. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    i always use a swivel--the connection is not a significant source of breakoff. Most catfish line breakage generally happens when the fish is allowed to reach heavy cover. If he is a real big 'un and he reaches his favorite pile of rock or downed tree you can forget it.

11. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    The more knots you have on your rig, the more weak spots you create. Most knots do not retain 100% line strength. Not all swivels are as strong as the line itself. I've heard horror stories of 'the one that got away' because the swivel failed. I prefer to have the main line tied directly to the hook. However, if I was going to use a swivel, I would use the method suggested by onlyriverfish. Use a nail or something similar to open the eye of the hook a little bit. Insert the swivel and then pinch or hammer it closed again. Again, only one knot on the main line.

I've noticed that the line may twist a little when fighting a fish but never enough for it to be a problem. My suggestion is to use whatever you have the most confidence in. If it works, go with it!

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    IN reality, regular old barrel swivels do very little to reduce line twist. DO this test sometime: tie a swivel in the middle of a length of line. Now attach one oendof the line to something, hold the other end (with the swivel in the middle) and roll the line between your fingers and thumb, so it twists. I will bet you that the whole swivel spins - not just one end while the other end stays still. In most rigs the swivel just acts as a connecting point. If you really need to reduce twist (like in trolling), then a ball bearing swivel; is the way to go.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would agree with this post. Save yourself trouble and the swivel is not that expensive.:lol: :smile2:

14. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i ddont think the problem is with line twist help me out here doesnt a swivel reduce the weight the fish feels on the bait if its not a direct line the fish will feel less resistance and be inclined to take it on 2nd bite

15. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I dont like to use swivles for two reasons, you have to tie more knots, which can leave weak spots in the line, and I think you get better hook sets without them. The rig I use consists of a sliding egg sinker, a j-style hook tied on with a polomar knot, and a spit shot about six inches up from the hook used as a stopper for the egg sinker. Ive never had any trouble with line twist using this rig.

16. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Definitly depends where we fish wether a swivel is needed or not. Couple a years ago I wasnt using a swivel, but wasnt fishing fast current so swivel wasnt really ever needed (flatheads behind dikes and in cover). Last year after fishing mostly fast current I quickly switched back to swivel as line twist was bad without it. Not everytime, but if even once then figure to just switch em all to having one.

I use 10 or 12/0 heavier type hooks with very big (oversized) swivels and just make up 50 at a time using vise+ blow torch+ minimum bend of hooks eye needed to attach swivels.

Bigger issue though was finding a method of stopping 12-20 some odd oz weight using only 1-knot at hook method. Found rubber band works best so far. Sorta like a palomar knot with the rubber band.
    Using superbraid nothing wants to hold on line. Have to try surgical tube this spring-it maybe better(?).

17. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I ALWAYS USE A SWIVEL BECAUSE CATFISH LOVE TO ROLL.

18. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I generally use a swivel, but not because of line twist. I catch blues, and they do roll, but how many rolls does it take to create a proplem? I caught a lot of blue cats in my pre swivel days, and I can tell you I never saw a problem. The line will absorb a lot of twists by itself.

For me the swivel serves 2 purposes... It acts as a sinker stop, and it allows me to attach a different leader line - a much heavier line for river fishing, and lighter weight mono for the rare occasions that i fish lakes where the water is clearer. The swivel does add 2 more knots, and I agree that knots are always the weak link, but the leader line I use for river fishing is overkill to the point that the extra knots are not the weak points in the rig.

I did like Joe / gofish's setup, and I may experiment with that in the places where I would use a 3-way rig.

19. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    It totally depends on the situation and rig you are using. I use them on carolina rigs, drift rigs and when slip cork fishing. the swivel is a necessary evil in those situations. But don't trust a cheap walmart swivel, buy a good quality swivel and tie good strong knots.

If I'm bottom bouncing or fishing swift current I don't use them and tie the sinker on the bottom then go up 2 to 2.5 ft. and tie a dropper loop to attach the hook to.

20. texasnitehunter

texasnitehunter New Member

State:
    NE Texas
    I use swivels on all of my rigs. I'm experimenting with different riggings to see what works best for me. I'm still new to catfishing with rod and reel.