Swivel for catfishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brinley45cal, Mar 16, 2006.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yes its me again lol.Im thinking about using a swivel on my line and need some advice.if i were using 20# line would the line that ties to the hook need to be the same or smaller or even larger test line then the main line?Also can you use a polamor knot on both ends of the swivel or am i going to have to try to learn a new knot?lastly what size swivel should i use?
    I know ive asked alot of questions but im just trying to learn as much as i can,plus i always say the dumbest question is the one not asked.So thanks for any help you could give me.

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i use the same line for my leaders. use a swivel strong as the line and big enough to keep the lead from sliding over it. polamar knots are fine on all ties.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Whats the purpose of the swivel anyway?What benifit do you get from using one?

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    James. Have ya ever noticed the roll a cat gives when hooked? Imagine that happening to your line without a swivel. I rest my case. LOL!

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i like to use a bigger leader when i fish for cats.aand a smaller leader for trout or panfish. as far as knots go you can use a palomar on one end of your swivel but i think you will have a hard time useing it on both ends. i like to use a perfection knot on my leaders its easy to tie once you learn it and its very strong.if you go buy eagle claw snelled hooks the loop end is tied with a perfection knot. a trilene or improved clinch knot works weel for attacheing line to swivels and hooks. hope this helps

6. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    i use a plastic bead on my line between the sinker and the swivel. it's supposed to protect your knot from friction of the sinker hitting. sometimes i wonder what is harder on the knot, the hard plastic bead, or the soft lead sinker. any thoughts?
    catwacker

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If the bead has a large enough hole the sinker will hit the bead and in turn the bead will hit the swivel cause the knot will be protected in the larger hole on the bead. A/C Moore has the beads with the larger hole.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use berkly mcmahon swivels from catfish connection in 200-lb test..I have never used a bead to protect my knot from the sinker, and have never had a problem, I dont think lead which is soft hurts the knot to much.

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I've used swivels in my line for years(McMahon), but am beginning to doubt their usefulness on R&R. First off, I don't believe they will spin enough(relieve line twist) under the load of a fish to do much. Secondly, 2 more knots have been added to your rig...........I don't believe adding weak links are worth the benefit of the swivel. About the only places I can justify them is in faster rivers that have the ability to "spin" a bait and if you are wanting to use different test(or material) leaders. All my still water Carolina rigs will use a bead and bobber stop this year. JMHO.

10. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    They make ball bearing swivels that spin easier than the normal ones. Only problem with them is that they are a little pricey. CC has them, and probably Cabelas too if you want to check them out. And if you use the right knots, it shouldnt have too detrimental effect on your overall fishing performance. Palomar knots are known for holding 100% line strength.

As for me, I use the same strength leader on all of my rigs. Starting from the main line, I have a sinker, bead, swivel, leader (between 6" and 2' long depending on the conditions), and then finally my hook. I would suppose that when fishing rocks (big ones that you can get caught in) that you could use a lighter leader, since you can break off if you need to and you wont get snagged. I had that problem this last week when I went up to Truman Lake by the dam. I ended up trying a paternoster rig on my line with a weaker sinker line. It actually helped quite a lot.

:0a26:

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just a thought guys. The crafts section of Walmarts carries beads with a hole of appx 1/8" to 3/16". They are not the pretty orange you get with most fishing tackle, but would the catfish care? I am sure this would protect the knot from the sinker. AND they are a lot cheaper than the pretty orange beads.

12. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    i use swivels and i use the same line for a leader as the main line but the line to the sinker is real lite so if it gets snagged it will break off before i lose the rest of the rig because sinkers are cheaper than swivels and hooks in my opinion

13. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Benifits of using a swivel are that the weight won't slip down when casting... and the fish won't tangle/twist the line easily.

I like using something, whether its a small splitshot (if i can't find my beads when out on the water) or a small bead between the weight and the swivel just to protect the knot...

as for the leader i tend to go with same size as the main line, sometimes larger if you've got the possibility of larger fish hitting or fish w/ teeth or rough mouths biting your baits so they don't get bitten off as much...

Polamer knot should work well with it but you have to remember to tie the leader end on first otherwise you won't be able to do the knot correctly (have to loop the loop over the entire rod, which is a pain and not worth it) i usually tie one side w/ a polamer and the other w/ and improved clinch...

14. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I've had cats spin a limbline up over night, but have never had one spin enough on a rod to cause me concern for my line breaking. I'd guess 95% of the catfish spinning I see or feel is at the surface when I'm gettting ready to land them...........they don't get much time to do a lot of spinning once their at the boat;)

15. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use the palomar knot I tie the swivel on, then the line to the swivel and then the hook to the line, am I missing something or doing something wrong? Can I not use the palomar knot in this manner?

16. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use the palomor knot for the simple reason its strong. For swivels McMahon swivels. You need to really advoid inexpensive brass swivels. For leaders I would use a stronger braid like PowerPro. PowerPro doesnt fray as easy as other braids, and it has small diameter.