Switching to Synthetic Oil question

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by craigr, May 26, 2006.

1. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I recently purchased a 'new to me' F150 with 43,000 miles on it. It's coming time to change the oil.

I would like to put Mobile 1 synthetic oil in it. My question is, do I have to 'flush' the regular oil out of the engine? If so, how?

craigr

2. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    no, not really a must, but not doing so may effect the results of oil analysis, at least for the first change interval.

3. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
  4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Switching Over To Synthetics Does Not Require Flushing Prior To. If You Think About It, They Sell Synthetic Blend Oils:roll_eyes: , Elliot

5. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    I work in the oil lube shops have for about 6 years I would check to see if you have any oil leaks fisrt because syn.oils will find evey one of them and many others as well as far as flushing yea I would most lube shops offer a oil flush treatmentask the lube shop to flush the engine with a a quart of reg. oil after they use the flush they will prolly say no if they do just tell them if you want any of my bussiness then you can waste a quart this is the way I look at it why put clean oil in a dirty engine?....

6. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    This truck looks & runs like NEW. I would like to put 200k on it at least. That is one reason I was thinking of going Synthetic. I've heard mechanics say that engines that have run synthetics for awhile are VERY clean inside.

The comments about Synthetic 'finding leaks' has me concerned. There are no leaks right now, but if it is going to find someplace to leak, I don't want it. My last Truck was a '92 F150 with a 5.0 & 165k miles on it when I sold it. Its oil pan developed a HORRIBLE leak last winter & they wanted $500.00 to repair it! I ended up getting my out of work brother-in-law to do it for $100.

I hate it when vehicles leak oil, (pet peeve), so I wouldn't put up with oil seeping out.

So, am I better off staying away from Synthetic?

7. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    I have 151,000 on my 1995 Ranger and have used synthetic oil since it had 15,000 miles on it. It doesn't burn any oil, doesn't leak any oil and runs like brand new. I will ALWAYS use synthetic lubricants in my truck and boat.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have a Nissan Frontier that I have done my own oil changes with Mobil 1 since I bought it. 189,000 miles so far. I can't say it is all the oil, the Japs make some good engines, but dang, that is a lot of miles on an engine. She may blow tomorrow, but I have gotten my moneys worth out of it so far.

When I bought my new truck the salesman wanted to know if I wanted to trade in my old truck...I just laughed...I asked him to get me a price...I laughed some more...I told him it was worth three times that to me to keep it!!

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I've Got 350,000 On My '97 Powerstroke, Been using Synthetic All The Time. It Doesn't Burn Or Leak One Drop Of Oil.

Oil Leaks Are A Pet Peeve Of Mine Also:eek:oooh: Elliot