Switching from Car. Skiff to Jon boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Doc Mitchell, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Doc Mitchell

Doc Mitchell New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have run a 17ft Carolina Skiff for over 10 years. It has been good for everything from inshore to river fishing. It still is for that matter, but the problem is I'm getting so that it's to difficult for my old bones to handle.

I'm moving from Florida to Georgia so feel like I need to make a fishing style change. No more inshore stuff and no more large deep river adventures. I want to confine myself to small river and creek navigation and maybe some small lake catfishing.

Been thinking about a riveted G3 1448 LW powered by my old faithful Yamaha 4hp 2 stroke. Will also put a 50 lb thrust transom mount trolling motor on to be a little more stealthy plus to act as an emergency get home power source. Oars will be a last resort.

What do you think? Am I nuts or what?

2. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    If your leaving Fl to move to Ga. I'd say YES your nuts. LOL But the change in boats is not if it's getting to where it's to hard for you to handle.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Yes, I do. LOL First things first. Welcome aboard to the BOC.

OK, from someone who also has "old bones", you are going from "ok" to real hard on the bones. Small Jon boats can be murder on backs, knees and backsides.
    Your going to have to give a few more details on what type waters you plan on fishing, before any recommendations can be given.

Is "*Required*" your name or location? LOL

4. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Kutter I took it to mean he was having more trouble handling loading the boat & such. But your right about the Jon boats being hard on your bones while in it fishing.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Doc We welcome to the BOC. Ref: Nuts. Maybe. The older you get the more comfort you desire. If you intend to do the same type of fishing, I would stick to the Skiff. Pond and small lake fishing, then the jon boat. One mans opinion.:smile2:

6. Doc Mitchell

Doc Mitchell New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks for the comments Swampy, Kutter and Mickey.

I guess I should have covered a few other things that make it a burdensome chore with the Skiff. Any and all things electrical require head stands to get to. Like getting to the fuse panel to do anything. To change a transducer, for example, requires a major take-apart of the wiring harness from front to back. Intricate placement of the boat and trailer at the home place is always difficult even with a spotting hitch on the front of my pickup. I would much rather just pick the tongue up and put it where I want it. Power tilt and steering is also a pain and expensive to repair when you get out beyond the ten year mark. I guess I could keep listing things that are hard on an old loner like myself, but it just seems like there has to be a simpler way to keep busy.

As for style of fishing, daylight to 10 AM is plenty for me. Brush and trot line are favorites plus a little still fishing at some selected holes. No long distance travel especially in a flat bottom rig. I should know, the name of my Skiff is "BAM BAM."

I've convinced myself that the big bruiser Skiff has to go. What I would like to know is do you think that the 4hp powered G3 1448 riveted Jon will do for the kind of putting around I want to do?

I hate to spend over $3,000 on a 4 stroke 20hp or just less than that for a 25hp 2 stroke. It would be nice but I just don't think it's the smart thing to do for the little things I will be doing to catch a catfish.

7. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Doc, Welcome to the BOC. You will learn a lot here. I am also downsizing. I have a 17 ft Deckboat and it is a pain in the butt to get out of the boat house and put it in the lake and get it back out and so I just don't use it as much. I have started using a 14 ft jon boat with a 5 horse motor and a 14 semi V with a 9.9 horse motor because both are easy to use and hook up and take to the lake. I'd say go for it. I plan on giving my big boat to my son and let him use it and maybe borrowing it if I should ever need it. Your small motor will work fine for your use.
    It would help to put your first name and state you are from in your info and you may find some people that are on this site close to you. I have found several people close to me and have traded info on diff lakes.
    Bill

8. Doc Mitchell

Doc Mitchell New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks for the reminders to update my profile. I couldn't figure out what you all were talking about at first, then it finally sunk in.

And thank you porboy for the info regarding your 14 foot jon boat with a 5hp engine.

I think I will now proceed with my downsizing plan.