Switching from baitcasting to spinning reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfishing is fun, Jan 17, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I used spinninng reels for along time, then i swiched to baitcasting, i dont like them at all, i am going to be swiching back to spinning reels , will spinnnig reels catch big catfish, if so what are some good budget brands (about $50).

Thanks for the help
    Marshall

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am also one that does not like baitcasters. I have always used spinning reels. Either close faced or open. Cabela's has a decent spinning combo outfit called KingKat Spinning. It's specifically for bigger catfish and you can get it for around $30.00. Hope this helps. Thanks for askin!:big_smile:

3. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I have always used spinning and baitcasters, Wlamart has a good selection of spinning, but Cabellas is have a huge sale right now so that would be your best bet right now.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Shimano Sahara and Sedona are good spinning reels in your price range. Okuma maked decent ones as does Daiwa. The Penn Catalina may be a candidate.

5. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
  6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Marshall do you need my address to send your Baitcasters to :big_smile: , hey Im suprised no ones asked yet :lol: . I like either or, sometimes I like my openfaced reels just for the ease of use. I like my baitcasters cause Im learning something new and hopefully will improve.

7. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    okay, i really am likeing the Okuma Coronado, it has a bait feeder function, what is this and how dose it work

Thanks
    Marshall

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Why is u swiching? I am swiching for spinning reel for catfishing to baitcasters, because they have more power and can put the big cats out.

9. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Cabelas has their Salt Striker Baitrunner w/ King Kat combo for $65.
    From what I understand, the reel is a real close clone to the Okuma Epixor baitfeeder.
    Will

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would highly recommend going to Catfish Connection site and look at the Okuma spinning reels. I have 4 Avenger models and have never had a problem. The baitfeeder system is a good feature if you are fishing in a lake or water with no current. I cannot use the baitfeeder feature because I always bank fish in the river with heavy current.

11. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i have a question about the avenger by okuma, and the question is how do they cast... i fish from the bank and have to be able to get the bait out there

12. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    similar to the clicker on the baitcasters (like my Penn9)? I always liked to use them but sometimes you have friends/family that can't use baitcasters and you don't want to insult them by saying, "I'll cast it for you". Seems like Win-Win.

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I dont know about the Okuma's, but I find all spinning reels of an equivalent size to cast about the same. Its a fixed spool system, so there's just not a significant difference.

14. lobo

lobo New Member

State:
    ks
    i have a cabelas salt striker ss-65 and it has worked good

15. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i was also thinking the bass pro shops cat max reel the big one

16. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Just how long did you use those baitcasters that you don't like??? You never said, so I was wondering if you gave yourself a chance to get used to them!!

17. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i used baitcasters for about 2 months, and just couldnt get into them

18. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    you just need more practice Marshal!!! Once you learn to throw a baitcaster there is NO going back.

19. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    be that as it may, i still want to get a good spinning combo so i can use it while im picking backlashes

20. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    2 Months, LOL!!! It takes longer than two months to get used to them. Practice make perfect Lil'Buddy, Give them time and you will love them!!!
    Seems to me that you are giving up way to easily, I didn't figure you to be that way, Maybe I was wrong!!!