Switching controls on 25hp Merc??

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by BoxxerBoyDrew, Jun 10, 2007.

1. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Hey Fellas!,

I have read allot of good stuff here, and I have a question for Ya'll. I have a 85 Bass Tracker 15' Aluminum Boat with a 85 Mercury 25XD Motor on it. I am trying to free up as much room as possible and was thinking if I could switch the motor from Wheel Steering to a Tiller Control I would have a BooKoo of room freed up by loosing the side console!!! I have read that you can switch Mercs from Tiller to Remote Steering, but I haven't seen any info on doing the opposite. Do you know if this is possible, or would just going to another motor be cheaper?? I am on a VERY LIMITED BUDGET being Disabled, so I am looking for the cheapest but Safest way to go!! I have thought about going to stick steering, but they are kind of expensive. The cheapest I have found the Stick Steering is around $240.

With the stick steering I was going to take the console out, and mount the steering stick to the left side of the drivers seat and leave the throttle/shifting remote where it is on the right side. I am having to replace the floor now anyway as it was rotten when I bought it. I am making a custom seat mount for the driver and passenger as I am taking out the live well that is in between them now. If I go to a tiller steer i was going to remove the back deck floor so there will be 2 "bench seats" on either side of the Aft where there is Flotation foam installed now, and put the gas tank and batteries in between the seats like on a Laker type John Boat! I Will be using the boat for mainly Catfish and Crappie, but I am keeping the front fishing deck in case we want to bass fish!

Thank you for any info Ya'll can provide, and please excuse the long post!
    I am done ramblin on now!

Andy

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can change the steering from remote to tiller but you will find the is also expenseve unless you can find a blowm motor locally that some one will part with.

I would check my local repair shops and maybe run and advertisement for the parts. You never know what you can find by just asking.

3. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Thanks for the info Willard!!!

When I figure out what I want to do I will do some calling around to see what I can Find!!

Thanks Again,
    Andy