Swing Shift?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Johnny B, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    Anyone here work a swing shift??? and how do you get any sleep? I can only sleep on day shift with my little girl running around the house and was wondering if anyone had any advice...they say you never get used to it but I can't keep getting 4 hours a sleep a day! I started about a month and a half ago and as soon as I get used to midnights I have to switch to days and then can't sleep again!! And yes I do drink coffee:confused2::confused2:...

2. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    My son doesnt work shift work but has always had a huge amount of trouble sleeping. he trys to sleep for a couple night with nothing then on the third night if he hasn't slept the last two he takes two benedryl. This helps him get sleepy and he doesnt get used to taking something every night

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I did it for 5 years (4 on 4 off, day/night rotation, 12 hr. shifts) before I got into a daylight slot. I always felt screwed up, like my body clock was always out of sink. Evan after 5 years I couldnt get right, it just wears on you. It's hard on your mind, your marriage, your family, and your health. I read a study one time that concluded that working swing takes years off of your life, I believe every word of it.
    The best I could do was stick to a rigid sleep schedule (2 Tylenol P.M.s and a couple cold beers in a hot shower works if you have trouble :wink:). You have to force yourself to sleep when you dont want to, and vice versa. Even at that, I always felt screwed up.
    Good luck!

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Welcome to life. LOL! All ya can do is cowboy up and do what needs to be done. :wink:

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I work a straight second shift but I do go in first shift sometimes and normally I'll work first and second back to back on those days.

I love second shift though. No traffic problems. Less people around.
    I can work on my projects more without interuption. And the politics of the job are almost nil. Don't have to deal with the breakroom nonsense.

I enjoy my mornings at home. I can handle errands I would normally have to take off work for. I can go to the daughter's school and participate, work on a boat, or drink coffee and just hang out watching Fox news and posting on the BOC.

A night or two a week I can't get to sleep until about 4 in the morning. No big deal though. I've never required 8 hours sleep . If I can get atleast 4 I'm good to go.

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I work swing shift for 18 years. Favorite tower was mornings for maintenance and management was home in bed. Next best was evenings.
    I usually had no problem sleeping in the daytime. My wife and kids respected the fact that I had to sleep. Agree, most people hate morning tower.
    We worked 7 evenings, 2 days off, 6 days, 2 days off, 7 mornings, 4 days off. Got off Friday morning at 7 AM didn't go back to work until 3 PM Wednesday to start a new cycle.

Just 'happen' to have this picture while working mornings in 1965. :smile2:

7. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    To sleep days my Dad ran a window ac to drown out the outside noise also you might try a sound machine with a waterfall or whatever type sound effect you might even find a cd with that type of sound effects and maybe earplugs hope this helps

8. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thanks alot guys the window ac and the cd idea is great! Now I have to get some sleep...haha:wink:

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I occasionally have to work odd hrs in my job as a concrete truck driver. I try drinking a few beers,shutting out as much light as possible ,and turning on a tv channel to a real boring commentator,like discovery channel talking about lichen or toads.:wink:eek:r serius radio "elevator " music.

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I've done it, days are ok, evenings are ok, but nights are hard to get used to. It always seems that when I get used to the pattern it changes.

11. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    well since this post my work has switched us to 7 day swing shift...there goes my fishing time!!! lol...more money for new gear....:big_smile:

12. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Where's the pocket protector, Dayton? :tounge_out: It surely looks like you've got things under control there!

About swing shift, I worked it for quite some time at IBM, at least until a coworker fell asleep at the wheel of his van and rolled into the intersection in front of a tractor trailor. It wasn't pretty. I was fortunate--I ran into the median a couple of times, but never into oncoming traffic.

Management from the very top started wringing necks all the way to the bottom management rung, and daily swing shifts quickly stopped. We started week swinging instead of day swinging.

I have to sympathize with the lost fishing time. The only way swing shift worked for me was if I totally sacrificed all personal life in order to get the little bit of rest I needed.

Personally, if swing shifts are going to continue indefintely, I would be looking for a new job. The pay is probably neither worth the risk nor the sacrifice.

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    X-A-N-A-X!!!!

BB in SC

14. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I worked a swing shift for 15 years,and loved it. I really liked the 5 day weekend that came along in the rotation, and was a great way to work overtime.
    smokey

15. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ive worked it and it looks like I'll be working it again soon. Aluminon foil taped in the windows keep the sun out. A fan, air conditioner, or sound machine works wonders for drowning out the sounds of family doing their thing. Of course if your swing is 2 months at a time on each shift you'll never get used to the midnights.

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I worked swing shifts and nights for 15 years. Usually, the only day I had off was Sunday, and we can't hunt on Sunday here, so I put up with it so I could hunt. It got to where I started having trouble with my eyes, lacerated corneas, and after seeing a few different doctors, found out I was sleeping with my eyes open, and drying them out. When I woke up and blinked, it scratched the dry eye ball. I haven't had that problem since I quit working nights and swing shifts. I still don't sleep much, but the only trouble I've had with my eyes is when I lacerate the corneas on tree branches while running around the woods chasing deer!! :wink:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  17. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    2 months would be great, rotating from days to nights and vice versa every 4 day turn bites.

18. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    I've worked swing shift for about 3 1/2 years now. We rotate weekly. The thing that helped me most was blacking out the bedroom window. I don't get as much sleep in the daytime, but what I do get is quality sleep. Try not to drink any coffee for the last 2 or 3 hours you are on shift. I know this is easier said than done as I'll find myself having a cup thirty minutes before I get off. Another thing that seems to help is staying up for two or three hours when you get home just like you do when working days. My biggest problem is when I work nights, it seems I always have to wake up to go to the bathroom in the middle of my day. Never have this problem at night. I find that if I don't talk to anyone when I get up, my mind never really wakes up. I just go in, do my business, and hop right back in the bed. My wife also helps out by staying as quiet as possible while i"m sleeping. Hope this helps some. Believe me, when your body gets tired enough, you'll sleep!

19. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Our swing shift at work is mon and tues 4-12. Wed off. Thurs and fri 12-8. Sat off. Sun 8-4. It sux!!

20. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    well as of the new 7 day swing at my work i guess it helps me get used to shifts a little better but my schedule is work 7 days off 2, work 7 days off 1, work 7 days off 4...It's an extra 7 grand a year so I shouldn't turn it down! Thanks guys...and i'm goin to the doctor to try and get some xanax!!!!