Swimming in same area as Longnose Gar

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Fastman, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Not sure where to post this question, so I picked here.

Do you think it is safe to swim in the same area as longnose gars? At just about any time of the day or night I can see them swimming at the surface of the water. It is usually easy to see 4 or more of them at any one time.
    I have caught a few of them. Ususally they are 36" to 48" long.
    They have a mouthfull of teeth, big ones. Everything I read says they mainly eat minnows and shad.
    I would like to swim in the lake. Oviously I want to be safe too. When I am on the dock they dont seem too afraid of people. They will swim within 5 feet of the dock regularly.
    Skinnydipping is NOT an option. :)
    Thanks for your comments.
    Fastman

2. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I wouldn't do it, but I am paranoid.

On a side note, the Missouri state record for longnose gar is only 27# and was about 4' long. I have seen them bigger in LOZ, but haven't gone targetting them yet.

3. jholman

jholman New Member

State:
    Columbus Mississippi
    I've been swimming around them all my life, no problem.

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I swim the river with' em all the time. They won't hurt ya. Me and a couple buddies of mine even tried to see who could be the first one to swim to an alligator snapper that kept sticking his nose above the water. Just his nose was about 8" long...:big_smile: And like everything else, he just seemed to run from us out there. But, if you hear the jaws theme start playing, you look behind you and a single fin is sticking out of the lake, ya might wanna get out. But other than that, you're in the clear.

-Red

5. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    36M @ LOZ.
    come and get'em
    Fastman

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO @ the cup comment. hehehe

I would not do it, but I am a chicken I guess. LMAO

7. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Real men tie fresh meat to themselves and wrestle those hogs haha. I wouldnt though.....

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've been swimming in a number of places with gar, and I still have my all my parts. I don't know that any of the areas were infested with gar, but they never bothered my any.

9. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    I worked with a guy that went swimming at a nearby gravel pit. He was sitting chest deep water when something bit him in the middle of his back. He stood up and reached behind his back and his hand was covered in blood. Fortunately he was with some people that could tell him that it wasn’t anything too serious. It turns out that he had a mole in the middle of his back that must have looked like a tasty meal to a fish. I remember him telling me it never hurt that bad, but he bled like a stuck hog. He also said it chomped that sucker right off clean.

He latter called the DNR to report this, I guess he was thinking that it might be a man-eating fish of some kind. I wish I could remember what kind of fish they told him it probably was but told him that it happens more often then most people would believe. I am going to take a guess that the fish was a Perch, or maybe even just a common Bluegill. (I really wish I could remember.) Nothing near as menacing looking as a Gar.

Long story short, fish can and DO bite people. But I would have to think that you would have to wiggle “something” in front of them just right.

".... just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water"
    << fading in Jaws Theme music...>>

10. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    when i was younger growing up ine farmersville texas there was a small lake just south of town that me and all my friends would all ride our bikes to and go fishing. along side the dam was about a 12inch concret pipe that would only flow water if the lake was up well at the bottom of the pipe was a huge hole bout 20x20 was bout 10 feet deep and was just full of long nose gars we would jump right off the pipe into water sometimes landing on the gar not once did anyone ever get biten that i can remmeber. all the gar where around 20 30 inches long.

11. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Come to think of it, I always enjoyed the feel of bluegill nipping on my toes when I stuck my feet in the water as a kid. Come to think of it... I don't mind it too much now. lol

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That's pretty crazy, the lesson of that story is always wear your swim trunks....LOL!:lol:

I don't think a gar would bite you while swimming, I don't know if I would really do it though because there's of course a chance of them biting you I guess. I would be worried about one biting my fingers or toes more then anything.

13. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i'm at war with gars. i'll go out of my way to kill them

14. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I heve never heard of a gar bitin a person either. bream will pick at any little scabs or moles though. it can catch you off guard tho.:embarassed:

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    gar have their purpose ,aint figured out what it is tho ,but skinny dipping aint never hurt me ,for one a fish aint normally gonna attack something bigger than it all the fish iv seen will swim far away from people unless they feel invaded like say cats when on the nest but people who noodle dont use their noodle to noodle cats out from under the rocks :lol:

16. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN

LOL, now that is funny. I swim in clorinated pools when i decide to swim...too many predators in the river for me! :eek:oooh:

laterz
    robert

17. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Don,I have been swimming with them all my life.They are not a threat by no means.Every lake and river around these parts have gar and jack fish which look like nortern pike.. Go for it....

18. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's just wrong!

And if you think swimming in chlorinated pools is safe, you aint seen the predators around the pools I've been to. Why, a good lookin' man like Arlington would have to wear a wedding ring on both hands!

19. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Remmber "they are more afraid of you, than you are of them" famous last words. Just don't swim like a minnow. I have never been attacked in the lakes or rivers i have swam in. I have been dive bombed by birds while walking to and from the water though. And I wasn't flying with them . Go for it. Blue gills might pester you but won't hurt you. If it was dangerous the state parks would close all the swming beaches.

20. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Hery John,I think I know that gal yer talkin' about.Is she the same gal whose mouth is so big that when she smiles,she gets lipstick on her ear's?