Swift water releasing anchor

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Pacman, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The Pee Dee river is the snaggingest (if that's a word) place I've ever fished. I don't mind losing a few hooks and leads, but anchors are a different story.

Last trip I lost an anchor by breaking a 250lb test rope.

I see anchors that are designed to release, but they are expensive. I might spend $50 bucks on a anchor if I knew I wouldn't lose it the third time I try it.

What brand/designs have you found that really works?

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I hear ya Dewayne. I pass lots of fishable spots because i don't have an anchor and have to depend on a tie up snag/limb. Ron (bellymeat) on the SC section sent me a link to a snag free anchor, but I have misplaced it. I think they were $75. They have the tines that straighten out if it gets snagged. He did say he lost a BRAND NEW one though!! :) I'm going to try one if I ever get my money right.
    BB in SC

3. jpb

jpb New Member

State:
    NE Marietta
    IF YOU CAN WELD MAKE ONE OUT OF #4 REBAR.YOU CAN PULL IT OUT WHEN IT GETS STUCK.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thats way i am when i fish kentucky river loose alot of hooks and sinkers

5. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    jpb i saw the anchor that you can bend to release the anchor. but they didnt give any lengths, but i will guess and say they are about 16 inches long? am i right on this length. cliff:big_smile:

6. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Are you connecting your anchor chain to the bottom of the anchor and using a zip tie to the top so you can pull up the anchor upside down by breaking the zip tie?

7. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    no im talking about rebar that is 3/8 are 1/2 inch. when the anchor gets stuck you pull real hard on the anchor rope, and the long hooks will bend, and should release

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Check this out Dewayne. I made this anchor awhile back. It works great. As a matter of a fact, I made another one today. Just a little smaller,and with more chain. They work great in trees, and especially rocks. I do my best to get it hung up on purpose sometimes, Just to stay anchored in heavy current. If it gets stuck, One yank on the rope will break the cable ties and pull it up bottom first. I make them for around $12.00. But, I have equipment readily available too...p.s. it's filled with lead also.

Attached Files:

9. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    Be like me and drill a hole in a large rock and call it good. They work really well. if you dont mind picking up a large rock when you go fishing.

10. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mark, That looks like the 3 anchors I made here at work except I have a rail running the length and the chain slides down it when your hung-up and run the boat past the STUCK anchor it pulls from the bottom. Works Great on the Mississippi, except sand! :wink:

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That's why I keep a couple of big ol' mushroom heads around.