Sweet sweet love on the hot river bottom

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by cpalombo, Jun 9, 2007.

1. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    So, I keep hearing that the blue and channel cats in northern MO are makin' sweet love right now. The temp turns 80. The moon it out. 30 eager fish bumping and grinding... Sha Daow!

Ah hem...

As for me though , I am wanting to catch a few of these immoral fish, preferably the largest and most immoral of them. Can anyone tell me where blue cats and channel cats go to spawn in the mid-St Louis area on the Miss River? Should I target deep water? Shallows? Creeks? I typically fish the 6 mile stretch below Dam #25.

Also, to catfish "stage" when they are getting ready to spawn as other fish do? (By "stage" I do not mean ding a pre-spawn dance in some sugestive way on a stage...) Rather, I am refering to where they would accumulate in an area close to the spawing grounds to meet one another, share drinks, ask about careers, talk about past relationships and so on.

Thanks in advance for the info.

CP

2. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Chris, check out the “Rip Rap” during this time, that’s where their hanging or staging when their ready to make baby catfish… The larger channels and blues with be there off the main channel around the rip rap, with the males duking it out for the prime elvis suites while the females are cruising checking out the wooing males suites… These suites are shallow in the 3 to 10 feet range, but usually around 5 to 9 feet for flats and channels with blues sometimes a little deeper… The suites are occupied by channels, then blues, then flats… normally… with high water (like we are experiencing), everything can be different, this condition seems to stimulate their desires to make baby catfish and provide more available suites… only the fish ready to reproduce will be hanging in these locations, which are the larger more mature fish.
    Check out the east side of Cuivre Island… hint, hint… find one of it’s many irregular structures along the rip rap, anchor up above it and drift down some fresh cutbait 5 ft deep under a bobber and hold on. I enjoy pulling crankbaits over these areas from now thru fall. Always catch a lot of drum and occasionally some catfish. Now Chris, :smile2: it would be more conducive to play Kenny G. on this type of fishing, but your our resident expert for experimenting with sounds :lol: so you’ll have to keep us informed of your results. Enjoy

3. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Now, I can't help in regards to fish location during this time of year -- but may be able shed some light on the tunes. Talk radio was always the ticket when fishing for stripers and walleye. It didn''t require bass and you can turn the treble way up so you can hear. I always suspected that "bass" was evil, as fish could feel it with that lateral line. BUT....I can't say the same for bluecats. The verdict is still out as I can't catch 'em with no music or music. I need more than 5 data points. In other words, Chris, there is no need to trash your Michael Bolton collection. Developing.....

With that said, I also have a question. I read the famed "Missouri Game and Fish" article where the legend (as far as I'm concerned) was catching 600 pounds of fish out of a single hole. This was all taking place on the Mississippi river south of Saint Louis. I've always fished the area around Melvin Price, but would like to get below the city. Where do I put in? Which areas? I need more bluecats to test Chris's music experiment and at the minimum need at least a new launch location. A safe launch location that doesn't the require the presence of one strong man dubbed "River Rat" to ward off thugs would be preferred, but not necessary. I'm willing to sacrifice for the sake of science.

4. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    "Rather, I am refering to where they would accumulate in an area close to the spawing grounds to meet one another, share drinks, ask about careers, talk about past relationships and so on."

Great, I laughed so hard I woke up the baby. Chris, you're in common form. That doesn't make sense initially, but it's certainly not rare form for you, so I'll consider it common form. Hey, at least it's not awkward form.

In regard to the soundtrack, we've already discussed Kenny G and determined you're going to catch pansy fish. I assume the same will occur if Michael Bolton is the selected bard. I have no other suggestions, except maybe The Eagles: Greatest Hits Volume II. By the time Joe Walsh starts wailing on the familiar riffs of "Life in the Fast Lane", things'll be gettin hot and heavy, with "Hotel California" serving as a tasty appetizer. And by the time "Seven Bridges" comes into rotation, there'll be lighters going off underwater -- and nay, these aren't "Ballad Lighters" but lighters used for post-coital smokes. Ahhh, sweet precious smokes. For those who don't know me, which is uhh, pretty much everyone -- I quit smoking three months ago.

Great, now I'm jonesin' thinking about the smokes the kitties are gonna be having after they get done ruining my fishing for the next week or so.

5. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    "Rather, I am refering to where they would accumulate in an area close to the spawing grounds to meet one another, share drinks, ask about careers, talk about past relationships and so on." With that comment alone, I really think the Sport of Catfishing has gone to a new level! This just goes to prove that more research is needed about the catfish and what we do not know about them.

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    in my area right now the fish are in deep water on the channel ledges where steep drop offs are located. im referring to the big fish in my area. im finding plenty of fish in the main channels but they are not the same quailty as whats on the drop offs. water temps in the low 80s. i have caught a few white cats that look to be in a war but no blues that look post spawn yet. matter fact alot of them look like they are going to explode. so from what i been seeing here i would say on the deep water channel ledges and anchor up and wait them out. deep water humps are working too. deep water in my area is 35-45ft mostly. also if you can find some brush or stumps on these channle ledges it is a plus. i really think the blues are spawning in deep water here on the ledges. look at chris blues post in the sc section on lake monticello. same thing here. we have a lack of rain in my area right now and not much current in my river systems this year. could be the year causing this but looking back in the past i dont think so. it just took me until now to see all this. music cut it off....:lol:

7. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm just not sure, Chris. I'm heading out this evening to see if I can't find out though. I'm putting in at Alton and plan to start deep and work a couple of holes that have produced in the past. I'f that does not work I'll head down river to the confluence and work the boulders/rock revetment in the shallower water on the Illinois side of the river--just north of the diversion canal. I'll report my findings on Monday.

Oh ya...I almost forgot. The music. I'm betting a little Barry White will do the trick.

If anyone else is gonna be out there I'll be in a dark blue Lund and will be monitoring the BOC channel of choice on the Marine Band VHF...Ch 71. Give a holler and If I can hear you over the Barry White we can swap sea stories.

8. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Thanks for all the great info. What I read here confirms what may have happened last night at Cruivre Island (I will post a report on that in a second...). What I am hearing for my nest trip is to change locations from my usual deep deep holes. I have a few great ledges that I can try just north of Cruivre and a few rip rap wing dams. That will be the focus of my next outing.

Also...

We all learned 2 weeks ago how the catfish like to eat to the sounds of hard rock music (see River Report for May 28 for Research Findings, Methodology, and Executive Summary). Not sure about what cats like for luvin'. Many of you think that it would be Eagles, Barry White, the Monkeys, Shinad O'Connor, Wham, Olivia Newton John ... I am not sure music is the ticket here... Perhaps a dose of talk radio from Rush Limbaugh is the way to a female catfish's heart.

Perhaps next time I am out, I will play a few of my top 100 webcasts of Bill O'Riely in the boat CD player, and see if it sends the catfish running to the flats for happy time.

More on that after I have the data.

;)

CP