Sweet Memories

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by splitshot, Mar 5, 2007.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Today as i sat in my favorite chair doing nothing my mind wandered back to my childhood and some of the little things that have left a deep impression on my life. Some of my favorite memories are of the fishing/ camping trips that i went on with my Dad, Uncles and cousins. I can remember the excitement the day before was almost unbearable for my cousin tommy and myself. When i close my eyes i can still smell the clean sweet smell of the lake and the way the water always smelled fishy-er the later it got at night. I still smell the grass and the lilac bush, that Tommy and i would lay our sleeping bags next to. I can remember the sounds of fish jumping out of the water in the stillness of the night, the lonely howl of a coyote, the constant mating calls of bullfrogs, the smell of the wood fire and smoke from my uncles pipe. I can remember the anticipation when i got the first bite of the night and how proud i was to catch the first channel cat, although no more than a pound every fish to me was a trophy that grew in size with each telling of the story. I remember falling to sleep with a gentle warm breeze off the lake blowing into my face, and dreaming how proud my Ma would be if i could only catch a giant catfish. I can remember waking in the cool of the morning to the smell off coffee, bacon, eggs and fried potatoes with lots of onions. I doupt that i will ever be a wealthy man but my memories i would not sell for all the gold of the world. Its funny as i get older i cant remember half of what happened a month ago but i still remember the things in my life that matter most!!!, and my fishing trips are right at the top of my sweet memories.:smile2:

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    That Was A Super Post Steve,and Congrat's on making Master Paladin!!! Your Friend J.D.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Those are memories to treasure !! thanks for sharing and CONGRATS on the rank!!

4. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Splitshot...those are nice visualizations of the good ol' days. Posts like these help feed my desire to go out and experience it all time and time again. Thanks for sharing.

5. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Steve,

What a pleasure it was to read your post. I was taken back to several sweet memories as well while reading. It was wonderful that you shared something that means so much to you. I wish others would do the same.

6. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Nice post! More people need to stop and think about that.

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Great post Steve! I have many fond fishing memories from youth that I reflect back on!:smile2:

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Good post brother...you always remember the blessings in life:wink: .

9. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    It seems I was right there with you. Thanks for a great post Steve.

10. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Steve,

Reading that, I could hear the bullfrogs and smell the fish! Thank you for sharing your sweet memories with us and allowing us to share them with you. Beautiful post!

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Steve, enjoyed your post.
    I can relate to thinking about the past as I've got older.:big_smile:

12. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have so many childhood memories! It makes me wish that I was little again to relish them all over! One of my memorys is that of a 4th of July fishing trip. I went with my uncle and my cousins.Now I didn't get to go that often,cause me bein a girl it was uncle's firm belief that girls and boys were different in more ways than one. Girls were not to enjoy the same things as boys and fishing was one of them. To him women and fishing well it just wasn't lady like and so I was only allowed to go once a year.That being on the 4Th of July. We went this one summer and I was always after cats even as a child.I didn't know beans about fishin cept how to put bait on a hook! I vividily remember a small bush in the water next to the bank,and thats where I was sittin. I had a small treble hook on and some bee jay bait. I kept getting light bites but nothing what I'd term to get excited about. Well..........I got bored or aggravated with this jerkin,so I said to myself(I don't believe I was even 10y/o yet) next jerk and I'm gonna give it something to jerk about it.Well it jerked,and I reared back.OH MY GOSH!!! I had a monster! My pole was bent in half and I'm cranking the reel and gettin nowhere,the watch was asplashin and to top it all off every adult was runnin full bore at me screamin "Stop fightin,you've got a flathead". Unfortuantly all I got to see was a big tail come to the top and it hit the water with a mighty splash and was gone. Man was I ever upset! Uncle wasn't happy with me either,and I can imagine,he was thinkin that was just one of the reasons girls didn't belong on the fishin bank. Thats as close as I have ever come to catchin the "Beast"! It's a memory I know I willnever forget as long as I live!:big_smile:

13. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Thank you spitshot for your thoughts and memories, it seems as we mature our thoughts revert to times that weren't as complicated. I relish
    the sounds and experinces of my youth...when it is quiet...I can close my eyes...and I am young again...if only for a moment...

14. Catsss

Catsss New Member

State:
    Illinois
    While setting around a camp fire late at night watching the embers fading glow. I think of the things iv'e done both good and bad and of the loved ones who have gone. I thank God for the time we shared and the memories I have.