Sweet Livers

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by jailcop2, Apr 29, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Heres one I have'nt used for awhile ,helps toughen up the livers and I'm sure you can use whatever flavors you want . Get a plastic butter tub or something similar ,put a layer of newspaper in... now take and put a layer of liver on top of it .Next cover the liver with sugar ,Iused drops of Black Walnut extract and drops of oil of anise ontop of the sugar ,then another layer of paper / liver /suger and so on until you have all you want .The ink in the newspaper for some reason makes the liver alittle tougher. Refrg. or freeze .
    Brian
    a.k.a. Jailcop2

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the idea,i'm always looking for new baits to try out!

3. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have made liver bait like that but have never herd of the news paper part. Thanks for the new info. I will give it a try.

P.S. How long do you usually let yours set before u use it? And have u ever tried mixing a little beef blood with it. That works great.

GOOD THREAD!!:0a1:

4. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I let mine set a couple of days at least , but ya can't catchum if ya ain't in the water. Hope this works for ya.
    brian

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    That does sound interesting, what you could use as flavors is un-ending. Any jell-o type product or any flavor of spices could work. Will have to play with that this summer. Thanks

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Thanks for the post. Will have to give this a whirl. Always ready to try something new. Give those fish something new when they won't hit the old and you just never know what will happen.

7. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Not trying to kill how the bait is made or done or whatever. but when that paper with ink onit gets went think about all the ink thats going into the bait the from the bait out into the water.

Do this for me if you think large amounts of ink does not come out when this is done. goto the sink light run water over the news paper then take and ring that paper out. you will see alot of it come out.

So me myself i would find a safer way of doing it.

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Imay be wrong But most newaprint is now soya based and non toxic. Does it work on frozen livers as I have a hard time getting fresh ones? good luck and catch ya later.

9. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Don't see why any flavor would'nt work , I've also read where soaking liver in strawberry/ bannana jello for 24 hrs. makes it more hookable too.I am also sure it will work on frozen livers .
    Brian

10. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Does this do the samething as curing with salt??

11. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    the ink in newsprint is non toxic they had to do this case u know how children are eating paper lol thought i fill yall in

12. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Thanks a lot fot the info, sounds like it should work.

13. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    As I recall Josh this did help alittle to keep the livers on the hook .Don't catch em all.
    Brian