Sweat bath

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by r ward, Jul 7, 2009.

1. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Well as my luck goes I got home from work and find out the AC compresser blew a seal so I guess I got to figure out how to get a new unit according to the repair man the other one is old enough where it is not worth fixing HELP when will the bad luck stop

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Richard, best prices around are here

http://www.budgetheating.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

They sell to the general public and the units are pre charged.
    The Goodmans are good units. It's all I'll own.
    I installed Goodman for about 8 years and we had almost no repair calls on them compared to the heavily marketed brands like Trane. Buy a Trane and you are paying largely for their large marketing campaigns.

Not sure what kind of warranty they are running right now but it used to be 5 years out of the box and up to 15 years for somewhere around 100 bucks.

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Mark is the name Goodman's sold under any other name ? Like maybe out here in california it might be under a different namebrand?

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The Goodman thermostats come with 2 stickers.
    You can either label it a Goodman or a Janitrol.
    As far as the units I put in they all said Goodman on them. I guess a Janitrol would be identical but with a different label. I don't know that it is the case.

Good question though.
    Take for instance a dishwasher making manufacturer.
    They make several brands. Same dishwasher. Same guts but maybe different body work. Ever noticed that most appliance parts places are small hole in the walls? You would think it would take a warehouse with all the different brands, makes, and models. The same parts are in alot of those suckers.

MTD mowers. All the same but different paint and different decals. Maybe different body work but look at the frame.
    You see a John Deere mower at Lowes? It aint a Deere. The part numbers aren't John Deere part numbers. In other words you likely wont find the parts at a John Deere tractor store. It's a mower that John Deere has licensed MTD or somebody else to manufacture. What it amounts to is putting as many John Deere stickers in the public eye as possible at no cost to John Deere.

Go look at a real John Deere mower and a Lowes John Deere mower. You can see the difference. One is a real mower and one is a willie wonka homeowner version of a mower. Something the average joe can buy but theoretically own a John Deere in name and paint atleast.

But a coworker turned me on to budgetheating.com several years ago. He was in the HVAC business on the side. To keep his side business simple without large cash outlay and his time to a minimal ( he had a fulltime job) he would have the customer purchase their own unit off that website. When it was drop shipped he installed it and billed for his labor.
    It benefited him and the customer. The customer was basicly getting the unit at wholesale prices and he didn't have alot of money hanging out there that he hoped he could collect on. If he got stiffed he was only out his labor which he dont owe anything on. He still made a good lick.

I guess the first place to start is to find an HVAC man that would be willing to work this way. Of course he'll claim he wont warranty the unit but the unit has a factory warranty on it. Most any HVAC company will honor a factory warranty if it's a brand they service. Shouldn't be hard to find someone in this economy that wouldn't jump all over it.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I wouldnt put alot of money in repairing a condensor or heat pump, especially if its a split system. Chances are its got some age on it and often times you can buy a new one for darn near what a compressor costs plus installation of the compressor and you'll be getting something more energy efficient.
    A split system replacement of the condensor is pretty simple and quick.
    3 to 4 hours tops including reclaiming the goody out of the old one if it's got any left in it.

6. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    That's kinda what I figured I guess we will have a new one out in about tuesday or wednesday