Swan lake in Ballard Co.

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ae_ted, Aug 13, 2009.

1. ae_ted

ae_ted Guest

Going jug fishing at Swan lake Sat. morning 8-15-9. Swan lake is the largest naturally occurring lake in Kentucky. I will be using my 14' jon boat and 6hp Johnson. Wish me luck as about all that is there anymore is those darn big head carp. Almost never catch a bass, bluegill, crapie, or catfish anymore. Laast time I was there, I had 3 bighead carp jump into the boat...and once 2 jumped in at once. I will let you know how I do. I will be using nightcrawlers and minnows for bait.

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey the bigheads are bait look at the cool side.. :smile2: But yeah let us know the endings! -AJ

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good luck ! put on a helmet ! Had one hit me on the cumberland a couple of years ago and well a 20lb fish can knock a man out ! I got lucky and just took it to the shoulder but still hurt bad enough .

4. ae_ted

ae_ted Guest

Good report! found a 10# channel cat on a limb line along with 2 big head carp on limb lines. Both big head carp were over 20#. I released the catfish and determined the limb lines were deserted as none had any bait whatsoever. I was really hoping to see what bait the big head carp were getting caught on!! I used jugs and baited with nightcrqawlers and minnows. Caught 5 catfish on nightcrawlers and never saw a jug move with the minnows although something was stealing the minnows as i rebaited 2 times. Of the 5 catfish i caught, 1 was about 2# and the other 4 were to small. They started biting about 8:30 and quit at 9:30. This gives me hope as this lake is 10mi from me and otherwise I would have to drive 50mi to Ky or Barkley lakes. I am 10 mi from where the Mississippi and Ohio rivers come togather but no way I will get on them with my 14' jon boat with 6hp motor. I also let the 2# fish go as i did not have enough for a mess to eat. Learned minnows are useless and i need to try different bait, I have heard srimp are good, I will give that a try. I am just happy there are catfish to catch there as the last 2 trips I never had a bite. I'm all fired up now.

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Add Garlic to shrimp .