Swampys Top fishing Tips on Circle Hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Swampy, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

These are ways I find circle hooks work well for me. I hope this helps some to understand better how circle hooks work in different styles of fishing.

1st fishing them on bottom with slip rigs on a tight line: wait until the rod is loaded "steady bend" pick rod up and apply slight pressure and begin to reel while keeping rod tip up. This is usually done when using rod stands or holders.

2nd Fishing them on bottom with slack line: When line starts moving out pick up rod and slowly reel in the slack until you feel the fish then give a slight sidewards sweep of the rod and start reeling. This is a good way to fish them in times where you don't have a rod stand and for those that like to keep the rod in hand.

3rd Fishing them with a fixed or slip bobber rig: when bobber goes under slowly reel in the slack until you feel the fish then give a slight sidewards sweep of the rod and start reeling. Remember just because the bobber has gone under the water don't mean the hook is set.

Always leave the point of the hook clear,never inbed it in the bait.

Make sure the bait don't close the gap in the hook,size your bait to the hook size.

The most important things to remember is NEVER set the hook like you would with a J hook.

If there is some part of this you don't understand just ask and I'll try to clear it up.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Good post Swampy! You'll have to show me first hand sometime. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Darlin'. :wub:

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Tony,

Is there any particular brand of circle hook that you prefer?

Paul

4. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My favorite brand of circle hook is the Gamakatsu Octopus Circles. I think they have a better gap then others. However, Daichi circles are top of the line but think they're too expensive IMO.

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Well they all work,but I like Gamakatsu best. Eagle Claw is a good brand and they cost less. For those that want to try circle hooks without spending a lot,I'd say try Eagle Claw.

What happened to my thread title it's been changed a bit?,just wondering.

6. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I think I can handle that. :)

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh....I'm jealous... :crying: ... :rolleyes: :eek: :p :D

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Paul the Daiichi Circle Chunks are very popular with some of my guide friends on the James and at Santee.They have a wider gap than regular circles and would be my choice for a circle even though I use Kahles most of the time.They are expensive however but worth it in my opinion and I have seen them in action on fish up to 50+.I think I have the name correct.

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Great post Swampy. I copied it into the library. Thanks for sharing your ideas with us.

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

I'm waiting.........come on home.

Congratulations on a library worthy post! Behave, be good and believe.
    Love you! :wub:

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Tony, number 1 on your list is exactly how I fish Circle hooks..I have used nothing else for the past 3 years and love them..Nothing like seeing your rod bend over double and knowing you have a nice cat on the end of the line..I use Gamakatsu octopus circles in 8/0 mostly.

12. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Glad to hear you liked it,Thanks

13. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i will try the sideward sweep next time out .
    i always do the slow upward arch while slowly
    reling in the slacki can feel when the fish is hooked then i give er a good tug for good measure.

14. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Cheryl looks like I gots to plan a fishing trip. :)

15. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I have used that upward arch,but I seem to have better luck with sideward sweep. I still put a nice tug on them once I know the fish is hooked.

16. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    This is what i was wondering when it comes to circle hooks. If "I" can jerk the hook out of a fishes mouth, what about a fish jerking it out of his lip? I'm fishing the mississippi and looking for that "BIG" fish, how do i know he isn't strong enough to pull loose when he runs hard or is using the strong current to his advantage? Thats why i don't use them right now. I find that most times they hook themselves on the big kahle 10/0 without a jerk.

17. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Danny once they are hooked I just give it a good tug while pulling on the rod. It's not really what you would call a fast hard jerk,it's kida slow & steady. It's just one of those things "I" do.

18. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    yeah the initial run is just a steady force, after you raise or sweep the rod and the hook does the trick and enters the side of the mouth you will feel the fish trying to get away with a side to side motion .

that is when i give it the final good yank to bury it in.

19. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I love my circle hooks they take some getting used to but once you use them you can't go back!! It always gets them. I don't think I have missed a fish yet on one. Its hard at first to remeber not to pull back to set the hook you will miss usually when you do that!! Almost always get him on the side of the lip.

20. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Y'all make me happy that he was understood! Must be a fishermen thing. LOL, I asked him what a sideward sweep was. I thought he meant sideways and told him I'd never heard of sideward. I guess more people than I thought understand "Flatlander Hillbilly" talk. ;) Maybe I'm saying it wrong?
    Still anxiously awaiting a class in TN. :p