swamped

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by fbjb4, May 21, 2009.

1. fbjb4

fbjb4 New Member

State:
    wyoming
    had a slight mishap the other night with the boat and to make a long story short gas tank took on a fair amount of water. the motor ran until im sure it took on a big slug of water. what all needs to be drained and dryed out before i attempt to drown myself and the wife again? p.s. cell phones dont float

2. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    as long as the water didn't go into the air intake it should be a matter of frsh fuel and some cranking. good luck.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, drain the carb bowl if you have one,, clean up your lines, and tank etc. get some fresh gas, and, add about 1-2 ozs of rubbing alcohol, per 5 gallons of gas,, the alcohol will absorb the water, and burn right through..,

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    yep, now tell us how the boat was swamped. LOL had to ask that.
    gary

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Take the plugs out and squirt some TCW- 3 oil in to each hole and get some into the mouth of the carbs also and spin it over without trying to start it. The oil in the plug holes will oil the cylinder walls up good and down through the mouth of the carbs will oil the bearings up good. Clean tank good and add seafoam to fuel good heavy dose drain carbs bowls if possible and replace plugs. This all should have been done right after it happened. Don't use alcohol because it will wash the oil off the bearings inside the motor and it will attract more water also.

6. fbjb4

fbjb4 New Member

State:
    wyoming
    ok ill tell story of the "great swamp" it all comes down to conditions changing really fast and more wind than any man should ever have to endure while in pursuit of the elusive "ol whiskers". wife and i went for an evening trip to see if we could catch a fish and just enjoy some time on the lake. we had fished for a couple hours in a handful of spots and made a run "up the canyon" to see if our luck might change, and by golly it did.
    a SMALL thunder storm was over against the mountain when we went in to the canyon but it look very innocent and if it did come off the mountain it wouldnt last long. we were reelin up and gonna head in when the wind came up. wasnt to bad at that moment so down the canyon we went and out into the open lake. almost instantly the wind went to im gonna guess 60 mph and waves were cappin close to 5 feet ,might not have been that big but to big for the boat, when it started takin the front end of the boat with it every time we went over a wave i knew we better try and get to some kind of shelter from the wind i couldnt hold it straight and keep the nose out of the trough of the waverasie the nose wind turned me sideways lower the nose water comin over the front. i started easing it toward the bank and before i knew had my tail to the waves. before i realized it a big wave came over the back. so i just headed it toward the bank nose first. and the motor died at that point but i think it was from the water we took in. my filler cap wasnt fastened shut so the wave that came over put lots of water went in fuel. and i again remind you cell phones dont float

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    ouch. thanks for sharing. something to learn for us all. never trust the weather. my dad sank his boat in lake mead from surprise storm.
    gary

8. fbjb4

fbjb4 New Member

State:
    wyoming
    thank you all who posted.

9. fbjb4

fbjb4 New Member

State:
    wyoming
    i tryed to edit my last post but got distracted and it timed out, but does anyone have any ideas about cleaning the fuel tank it is riveted in and would be a real bugger to get out. im not even sure it will come out through the cover. would it be possible to put an inline cannister type filter on the fuel line? its a 50 horse evinrude either a 1994 or 95 not sure would have to find the papers and look.