Swallowing hooks!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by young catfisherman, Jun 11, 2006.

1. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    Plez help me!
    i have been catfishing for about 2 years now, always looking for new hooks. i use a good size hook and the fish i catch usely swallow the hook, what kind of hooks do you use dose this happen to you?
    THANKS

2. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Mackoy You might try setting the hook sooner. I don't know of a hook out there that a cat want swallow. Unless its a circle hook.

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Sounds like your loose line fishing..try tight lining.:wink:

4. young catfisherman

State:
    ohio
    ya alright
    sounds good ill try that too night.
    thanks

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I've been real happy with a Kahle.. 99% of the time the hook is in the corner of their mouth..I also fish loose line... If you using dip bait, I would highly recommend a [thread=9237]Looper rig[/thread] with a kahle or circle hook..

6. young catfisherman

State:
    ohio
    alright
    ill will have to try that!
    thanks.

7. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    try using cyrcle hooks, gamakatsu, ive been fishing with them for years now and i have never had one swallow the hook

8. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I second the gamakatsu circle hooks. I use them and 90 percent of the time the fish is hooked right in the corner of the mouth.
    Good luck!

9. young catfisherman

State:
    ohio
    ok ill have to get some and try them out.

thanks

10. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When I was using circles that was the one thing I really liked about them. I only had one fish that I remember swalloing the hook.

11. young catfisherman

State:
    ohio
    ya im going to try them and see who they work

12. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    two things i'd try... circle hooks (though that isn't always a given)... I'd go with a little bit larger circle... around 4/0... the smaller fish can still get that in their mouth but sometimes have a harder time swallowing the hook (again not a given)..... Other thing i'd try is to shorten the leader... weather your using a 3 way rig or carolina rig, the shorter leader will let you know sooner when theirs a fish biting but also won't give the fish as much room to swallow with out feeling a little resistance and running from it (setting the hook on them selves with the circles)...

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There is only one way to keep fish from swallowing a hook, stop puting it in the water with bait on it. LOL just a little fun.

The guys gave you good advice. it seems you are concerned and that is a good thing, shows your thinking. Don't worry to much if you can't remove it it is better to cut the line and let the fish get rid of the hook. Hooks will rust real quick in the acid from the fish and it will live a long life. A fish can die a slow death if we tear up it's insides trying to remove a hook.

Thanks for caring about the fish.

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

On a circle hook the barb does not stick out the side of the hook. So when you pull back to set the hook or when the fish swims away, it pulls the hook back out of his stomach/throat and into his mouth where it catches on the corner. As long as there is tension on your line it will come back out. Tension YOU provide or the fish provides. Occasionally you'll get a gut hook with a circle, but not often.

15. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I've been meaning to try those circle hooks and I think that after reading this thread I am gonna make the switch! Thank you for the incentive!
    P.S.
    Anyone notice that the "NO PICTURE" sillohet <(spelling I know) resembles one of The New Kids on the Block! LOL :roll_eyes:

16. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I went to kahle hooks and have very little hook swallowing. you may try a bigger size hook when I fish treble hooks with danny kings bait I run anywhere for # 2 up to 5/0 hooks and have very little troubles with fish swallowing the hooks

17. young catfisherman

State:
    ohio
    thanks
    for the tips

18. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Lettum swallow the hook. Clean'um, get your hook back, fry'um, then swallow'um:big_smile:

19. young catfisherman

State:
    ohio
    lol Nice

but thanks:big_smile: