Swallowed Hooks?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JUG_LINE, Aug 8, 2009.

1. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    When your catch swallows your hook and you can't get to it or see it. What do you do? I have heard that its better cut the line and let the fish keep the hook than risk hurting the fish getting it out. I have let some small (illegal to keep) Flatheads go this way. Do you guys know a better way?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    If it is a flat head I cut the line and let him go. A blue up to 10-12 lbs I keep, bigger I cut the line. If it is a channel I keep them.

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I will keep most fish that swallow the hook. Especially blues and channels. Most of the time I will keep flatheads that swallow the hook as well. I CPR fish I believe will survive. If a fish is bleeding really bad from the gills he gets kept too. No use to risk wasting a fish that will be eaten. JMO

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Most of the time the acid contents of a fishes stomach will disolve the hook in short order. I'm not sure about a Stainless Steel hook. If a fish is not bleeding I normally will let him go.

5. catma

catma New Member

State:
    iowa
    dont take any chances keep that fish dont let it go to waste!

6. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i fish for flatties all the time and if swallows a hook i try to cut the line as close to the hook as possibly and release th fish fish has acid contets the will break down the hook

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Here you go Rodney,,
    Ive been doing this for about a year now on gut hooked fish "I use circles so thats not many" it works really well, BE CAIRFULL AND ONLY TURN THE HOOK BETWEEEN THE FIRST GILL AND THE HEAD, ,:wink:

http://fishingsuccess.net/Pages/Gut Hook.html

Hope this helps you...:big_smile:
    Puddle

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  8. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I always leave 5 inches of line or so hanging out and cut it, if I want them to live. If I don't I just start ripping. I had 2 dozen bullheads I kept in a fish tank saving for bait and I gut hooked most all of them. I assumed the hooks would be inside them until they died. Well long after I used them I cleaned out my tank and got stuck, again and again and again. I counted 13 hooks in the rocks in the bottom of my tank. So catfish seem to have a way of expelling the hooks. I dont know if they spit or shit them but they did. and I also do not know if its the same for other types of cats.

9. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Same here just cut it let em go.

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Cut the line and toss him back,don,t know if they,ll make it,but I figure at least he got a fighting chance.:wink:

11. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I have had two experiences with this as far as seeing what happens. The first was many moons ago pond fishing I lost my favorite two hook plastic worm to a bass on a broken line. The next day or maybe day after, I caught a bass that was crapping my worm, hooks and all. The other time I caught a fish at the lake that had a large circle hook that it had mostly passed, but the shank was out the pooper while the barb had worked it's way through the belly and was also poking out. Even that fish seemed okay.
    My philosophy is if it's not gill hooked, not broken up in or around the mouth, and its stomach was not pulled out, it will most likely be fine. The next time I get an aquarium up and running, though, I would like to test the theory for myself.

12. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I am like most. I just make the decision for what is best for the fish. If the fish is bleeding, or I have really been digging to get the hook out, I will keep it. I don't think us prying on the back of the throat of a catfish will give that fish a good chance of survival.
    I have noticed this summer, a lot of channel cats have been swallowing or gut hooking the hooks on the dip tubes I have been using with dip bait. I have caught hundreds of fish this summer on dip bait and have had a fairly high percentage of them with the hook way in the back of their mouths.
    If you have had this problem and have noticed the fish "pecking" at the bait.....try setting or reeling down on them right when they start this. I feel you won't miss many fish either. I think the fish are already hooked up when they start messing with the bait. I have started reeling down on them earlier and have noticed my swallowed hook-ups have gone down in a big way. I have experimented with different hook sizes and even gone to treble hooks as well, and found they swallow all hooks.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  13. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    Most of the time I keep the fish I catch as they are nearly always 1 to 5 lb. channels.

I just unhook the leader and put a fresh hook on my line. The cat keeps the hook 'till I clean him. At that time I cut open the bottom gill area and pull out my hook and leader.

Fussing around trying to dig out a gut buried hook while on the water is just wasting good fishing time.

For me , I have less gut-hooked fish when using circle hooks. IMO

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    all i use are circle hooks and so far this year i've had 2 deep in the gullet, i just cut my line and don't even mess with them, i figure thats just more stress on the fish if i try playin doctor on them

15. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    just depends,its a judgment call really,if its bleeding ill keep it if not and looks like it has a chance ill let it go.

16. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have not had a fish swallow a hook in years since I started using octopus circle hooks.

17. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i keep the fish if theres no way to get the hook out safely, better to use him to feed my family then the raccoons and possums

18. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I too am usually fishing for channels between 1 and 5 pounds, and I like treble hooks on my dip worms. The fish swallows the bait quite often, but I rarely catch one that is too small, and with stink bait have not gotten one that is too big. I pull the dip worm up the line and cut the line off, not bothering to get the hook out, and if its a keeper, onto the stringer he goes, and I hook up another rig. I always have plenty of extra rigs ready to go. If the fish is "pecking" I hold the rod and as soon as I see the line moving I set the hook and usually get them in the lip. If they are really hammering the bait, eating the dip worms down, I switch to a 1/0 octopus circle hook rigged dip worm.

19. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats pretty much the only conducive way.. that way when they are released the hook will rot "rust" away and theyll be back to feedin in no time.. happened to me a many a times and they always swim away troublefree, i never see one surface dead.:wink: Hope that helps. All it takes is pullin a lung our throat up and their history.:sad2:

20. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I agree with Alton, since a few years ago and I started using Octopus Circle hooks, I havent had a fish swallow a hook. Oh minus the gills I catch for bait :wink: but then I cut them up and throw them on an Octopus Circle