SW Va Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by riverdawg-1, Nov 5, 2007.

1. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Any one in SWva done any fishing lately. if so where and how did you do. Since deer season started I think I went trout fishing on a Sunday and that was it. I need to get out and go.
    Chip

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I haven't been in a couple of weeks but the last night I was out I did pretty good. I usually fish South Houlston and I have been told by some friends that the fishing has been excellent for the past few weeks. I plan on giving it a try this weekend if nothing changes.
    I have been thinking about driving to Clator and fish for the first time. That may be weekend after next if all goes as planed.:big_smile:

3. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Riverdawg,
    Sounds like we're on the same schedule. I haven't been back to Claytor Lake for about a month. Been too busy scouting deer and trout fishing. That last bit of rain really helped fill up some of the trout streams.
    I'm thinking about hitting DeHaven Park this weekend. Have you heard on anyone having any luck there lately?

Mike in SW VA

4. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    No I haven't heard anything about Claytor. I figure the channels should still be hitting fairly well. I don't know about the lake, but the water temp at Ivanhoe was 50 yesterday according to USGS web site. If you go let me know how you do.
    Chip

5. Kev-Man

Kev-Man Guest

I went Friday night ( it was cold!!!:eek:oooh: ) on Smith Mountain Lake and I had all the luck in the world. I use 4 poles and I had 2 in the water and setting up my third and Wham... it was on. I was catching them so fast it was a little over an hour before I finally got all 4 poles in the water. I got me a good size Flathead out of the night, but I can't figure out how to post the pictures on this site, so you'll just have to take my word for it.
    I will say this; They quit biting around 1a/m.
    I hope your able to get back out there soon. There's nothing like fishing.
    Good luck and have a good one...

Attached Files:

6. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Glad to see their hitting. What were you using for bait? I may have to try to get to Claytor this week and see whats happening.
    Chip

7. Kev-Man

Kev-Man Guest

Now, that's a trick of the trade:tounge_out:... Nah, just kiddin'. If it helps someone to catch a few I'm all for it.
    I usually use 3 or 4 baits, Worms ( the old stand by ), Chicken livers ( of course ), Shad ( here's a tip for you... I get half a dozen or so 3 or 4 days before I go and kill them with a needle and leave them in water, let them start to stink then the day I go I get some live ones ), I use Goldfish, and a Bloodbait of some kind or another.
    I hope you have a pile of luck. Let me know how it goes and what they were hitting. Oh, I can't remember if I said it in that last thread, but they hitting Worms and those dead Shad.
    Have a good one.
    Kev-man