Sw Ohio

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by shenbitt, Dec 17, 2005.

1. shenbitt

shenbitt New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey all,

I just recently moved here to Ohio, I live in west chester right now. Don't really want to but thats another story. Anyway I am trying to get my bearings on some good fishing spots here in Ohio local to me. I have been able to find a few online but, that doesn't tell me much about the fishing there. Don't want to know you guys little sweet spots but, I would like to know the local fishing reports. In kansas I fished for Cats, Walleye, bass and wiper. That was about it. Whats big up here? Any info would be great help.

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Welcome aboard shenbitt, :0a25:
    I know there are several guys in here from Ohio and they catch some nice ones there. I believe a lot of them go for flatheads. Hopefully they can help you find some good areas.
    Best of luck to you.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Shenbitt, welcome.
    There is lots of good fishing, both boat and shore, on the Ohio river in the S.W. of the state as well as some very good lakes. I live in Indy but go down to the Ohio often to the stretch between Cinci and the Markland dam.
    Do some searches and check out what's been written by others. You will find a lot of info. I'm sure the Ohio guys will be along to help you too...W

4. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Welcome to the Brotherhood!

5. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Great Miami River - SR129 West to downtown Hamilton, follow the river South until you get to the low-level dam (about a mile+). This is my goto spot 'cause I don't get around so well. Flatheads, channels, walleye, saugeye, smallmouth, white and hybrids, carp... Be prepared for lots of snags, but if you don't get snagged now and then you ain't catchin!

Little Miami River -- Mason-Montgomery Rd East, Montgomery Rd, Old 3-C Hwy to Fosters. LM & Smallies, panfish, cats...

Ohio River - Easier if you have a boat, but plenty of bank fishing from Meldhal to Warsaw.

East Fork Lake St Pk - Bass, stripes

Caeser Creek St Pk

Brookville Lake in Indiana

There's also plenty of small ponds in WestChester you can ask for permission in.

6. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Shenbitt,

Welcome to the neighborhood!!!

Are you looking for banking, boating or both? I may be able to help you either way.

Mike

7. shenbitt

shenbitt New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Banking mostly. I recently bought my pickup but, it's gonna to be awhile before I get the boat. I like the shore better anyway, my wife and kid really like to camp so I kill 2 birds with one stone. So I would like some places from the shore. ALso does anyone fish here in the wintertime and if so where?

8. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Shenbitt, first off, Semper Fi. This is really my first year winter fishing. I have been going to the Ohio River east of Aberdeen to a hot water outlet from a DP&L plant. Mostly white bass but a few largemouths and skipjacks. Plenty of parking and 1/4 mile walk to a lot of bank fishing. If you need more info, give me a hollar. Good Luck.

9. shenbitt

shenbitt New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Semper Fi to you as well Catbird. Thanks for the info, I am gonna see if I can make it up there. If not I will just have to wait till it warms up. I would usually be deer and pheasent hunting now but, all my guns are still in Kansas. :cursing:
    Puts a damper on all that business. Thanks for the help ya'll. I truly appreciate it.

10. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Whiskers,

Give a yell next time you hit the lowhead at Hamilton, we can back each other up about the one that got away :)

It's about 20 minutes away, it's the spot I go to when I feel the need to lose some weights :p

11. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Dademoss,

I'd 've been there yesterday, except I had 2 kidney stones come up last Saturday, been in & out of the hospital a couple of times thru the week - miserable. Finally got one busted up on the soundwave machine in Norwood on Friday, but now the drugs a wearing off and I just feel like.......... There's one stuck in the kidney just waiting to make it happen allover again.

I know what you mean about losing sinkers. I cast about 200 lbs a year of no-roll and bank sinkers, and between me and my son, almost all of them are on the bottom of the GMR between Hamilton and the Ohio River. Catch a lot of nice fish, multi-species, on this river, though.

Send me a message next time you're out there. If I can, I'll stop by. I'm less than 15 minutes away.