Suzuki Motors

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by WylieCat, Feb 13, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Any of you "boat motor heads" out there have nay experience with the Suzuki motors?

I have read some good things, but I will admit the information is limited on the bigger ones they are making now. It seems like more and more boat makers are selling boats with them. Warranty is good. Not sure on how close a dealer is to me for service though, and that is a major concern.

Curious for your feedback.

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have a 140 I think its a 2005 model love it. And sips gas.
    I don't think you can go wrong with any brand now days. As there all good.
    But I would make sure theres a dealer within an hour or so.
    But then again Johnson's 4stroke were or are still make bu Suzuki.,
    I would and will buy Suzuki again.
    Mine starts as good or better then the new cars as it EFI.
    Pete

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks Pete. Glad to hear from someone who owns one.

The boat I am looking at comes with either a Suzuki or a Yamaha for $1,000 more. Yamaha dealers are everywhere, Suzuki dealers are a little more scarce, but I have two within 35 minutes of the house.

From what I have read they are good on gas, easy to start, and quiet.

4. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I have a 2002 140hp Suzuki 4 stroke and I think its the fastest starting and smoothest running motor I've ever owned.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I've never heard *anyone* say anything bad about a Suzuki. I think the also offer one of the longest warranties of any manufacturer, which says a lot about their confidence in the engines.

One of the local catfish guides runs a 225 Suzuki on his boat and he tells me he's put the equivalent of about 10 years of "normal guy" usage on it over the last 2 years. Suzuki techs check the engine from time to time but have never had to adjust or replace any parts, not even the water pump.

I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about a Yamaha 4-stroke either; I've been quite pleased with the 115 Yamaha I bought last year. It's got about 50 hours on it so far without a hiccup.

So I'd probably agree with Pete -- pick the brand that you can get service on the easiest. If the same dealer is selling both brands and that's where you'll have them worked on, I think I'd go with the Suzuki.

6. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    There are quite a few guys on the DuraCats trail that run the Suzuki motors, most are 115 Hp with a few that are 225, can't even hear that 225 running the water blowing out the cooling port makes more noise than the engine.

Suzuki also offers a bonus if your in a sponsored tournament and you win with a Suzuki engine, I think it's a $500.00 bonus, that's why a lot of the guys run them.......Doc

7. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I have a 2005 suzuki 140 4 stroke and have had no problems at all.

8. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have a DT5 that I use as a Kicker and also on a Coleman Crawdad excellent little motor run's great never had any problem's

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I would of gotten a suzuki motor on my boat. But the only dealer that is close is a ford dealership and I really did not want to go through them. Also I had a yamaha on it before so changing the throttle/cables would of been kind of pricey as well.

10. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Where in NC are you at? I bought my Suzuki from a dealership in Burlington. They service them there as well, that's where I plan on having mine serviced after the my break-in period is over.

Jon