Suzuki Jet

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Blue Bruiser, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Hey guys I found a real nice boat but one thing bothers me. It has a 55 hp suzuki jet. I am not familiar with these Jet motors. Can anyone kinda explain these things to me. Any pros & cons. Any experiences.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You'll be pushing about 35+ hp, and never punch it in shallow water.

3. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Im just wondering what the difference is between a jet and the conventional motors. What are the advantages how do they work

4. bigyella

bigyella New Member

State:
    Texas
    A jet is lower on power. They are noiser. Gas milage is not as good. Reverse is also not that great.
    I love all 3 of mine. I can go in 2 inches of water with a flat bottom tunnel hull. I pointed out all the bad first, so you wont think I am tring to sell you something. A prop is useless where I fish. I would not own a prop. Someone said dont gun it shallow water? This is where it is great. You better not let off in water under 8 inches. JMO

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bruiser, a conventional motor has an exposed propeller that cuts through the water like a screw, whereas the jet motors have an impeller enclosed in a much more compact casing, and the water is sucked into the casing and then forced out under high pressure, which propels the boat (think PWC's). Since there is less of the motor in the water, it allows the boat to be run almost anywhere that it will float.
    The upper part of the motor is same as a conventional, but the lower unit is totally different. The jet pump is less effecient than conventional propellers, and produces less thrust/effective horsepower.

6. bigyella

bigyella New Member

State:
    Texas
  7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Standing still in shallow water, punch it, water sucked into the impellor from the bottom forward area of the lower unit = sand sucked in also, wearing out the impellor and the housing. I've been told they can suck trash up from about 6' when standing still.

Sometimes, I'm sure it can't be avoided, but try to get some forward motion first by slight throttle before sucking up the trash from the bottom.

The impellors are fitted to the housing for minimal clearance so as not to loose water pressure/force, by use of shimms. As wear occurs, shims are removed allowing the impellor to sit deeper into the housing.

Reverse is obtained by a control system that pulls a type of a gate in front of the expelled water, channelling the water forward, pushing the boat backwards.

They are the answer to getting through the shallows to your fishing spot.

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    My next boat will be a jet drive boat but not an outboard. river pro boats have a merc sport-jet inboard motor, much better design then any outboard jet. they lose less horse power then a conventoinal outboard jet motor
    check em out

http://riverpro-boats.com

9. bigyella

bigyella New Member

State:
    Texas
    Brad K
    I have been kicking around the idea of a riverpro. The main concerns that I have are the keel in the front taking a beating on the rocky rivers I fish. Also the jet intake is under the boat. It some trash blocks the intake you have to go swimming to remove it, unlike my outboard. I know they have a recent fix for this, but how effective is it? I have been watching these things for about 4 years. I did not buy one on the last purchase. Their are about 4 guys down here that have them. They all love them. But their boats are already beat to crap. Maby its their driving? I have hit lots of rocks very hard and I dont so much as have a dent. I think it is a different world where these things are designed and where I fish. They have my attention. If you have any updates you can provide I would love to hear them. I would like to have a sport jet setup in my boat.

10. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Thanks for all the input guys. I think I am going to stick with the conventional propeller. The jet just seems so impractical for the type of fishing I am going to be doing. I fish deep water and need to get from place to place quickly. Sounds like they might benefit some but I don't think they would me. Thanks again guys.

11. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Fellas, bobpaul is steering you straight on trash and sucking sand debris in the intake. My brother bought a jet ski and ran it a total of 4 hours before filling the motor full of trash burning it up. He had it rebuilt, even warned the fella beforehand when he sold it not to run it in less that a 1 and a half feet of water. The fellas daughter done it again the next day.......