suwannee river

Discussion in 'LOCAL FLORIDA TALK' started by nosnag, Oct 21, 2005.

1. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Went out for a couple of hours yesterday. Fished the Bell area. A nice day for fishing , an ok day for channels. My son and I caught 14 keepers from 2-3.5 lbs.Darned small ones were a problem. Must have caught thirty or more from 6" to 14". Problem was no cut bait. Ran out of livers in the first hour and had to use wicked sticky for the rest of the time. Used a full tubful. Came back to the launch about 5PM.
    Next trip I'll have to get some mealworms for sunfish (cut bait). Seems to be the best ticket lately.
    Anyone else been on the Suwannee ? I just moved here and would like some info on where and when.
    Ordered a trailer for the boat but it is on b.o. for now.Been loading the boat on and off the pick up bed. Getting too old for that. Have to wade in to hook up the motor. Kinda takes away the fun. ;)

2. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I've lived here all my life,but only fished that river a few times. I hear the lower part of the river is best for cats. I'll see if I can dig up some info. on the lower part of the river.

3. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Fowlers Bluff is the last public boat ramp on the Suwannee river. I've heard the best cat fishing areas on the river is from Fowlers Bluff to the gulf. From what I've been told shrimp & cut baits are the key to landing the larger channel cats in the lower Suwannee basin.

4. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thank you Swampy. I'll have to try the lower part of the river . Been finding some good areas in the middle section here lately .Mostly in the Hart Springs area and north into the SRWMD primitive tract areas.I find that prospecting for decent areas is almost as much fun as actually catching the fish. :) Most of the fishermen I've talked to around here are after Bass or sunfish .I like that because it leaves it wide open for my Cattin'. This area is shaped like a double coontail so the floods left a lot of jambs and stickups to check out. Maybe catch you on the waters around the area sometime. Good luck on your own spots. Bill

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    The Hart Springs area is real nice,that's the only area I've fished on the Suwannee. Yeah most of the folk's in that area are big time bass boy's,and that's a good thing for folk's like us catfishermen.