Sutton Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mhbomber, Aug 5, 2008.

1. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I went out on the lake last night with Wes (fatflattie) to try to catch my first ever flathead. We fished a few different spots using live and cut bream and landed three fish. A channel cat around 10 lbs, a 13 pound flat and a 22 pound flathead. I had a great time out there with Wes and learned a lot of new things!

Attached Files:

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    We had a great time last night. Didn't catch a ton but Matt got his biggest channel and his first flathead to it was a success. We swapped fishing stories and took turns trying to fall out of the boat:smile2: Next time we'll get us one of those two handers!

3. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    Sounds like a good time,congrats on the flathead Matt!

4. kaleb5000

kaleb5000 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sounds like you had a fun night. i cant wait for saturday night when i hit sutton. i ve got one spot in mind that i am gonna try but other than that just gonna fish what ever looks good. if you guys have any advice i would really appreciate it thanks

5. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nice flathead guys. I think Im gonna have to make an appearance at Sutton.:wink:

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Britton and I got out last night to try out some new spots. Well, don't know if we're gonna do that too much more. We tried three new spots and didn't even get all the baits out in one spot before we decided to move (all three rods we put in the water got hung right away). Next spot we hit looked really good, channel came right up to the bank but we had no takers there either. Moved on back a little more to try some shallow water and had no takers there (other than what we believe to be a gar that Britton hooked). We then moved to one of our usual spots and we got an 11lb channel and a 14lb flathead. Then when we decided to leave I picked up my first rod to reel it in and WHAM, it was on. Felt like the biggest fish I've had on all year, stripped a bunch of drag and pulled the back of the boat around some. I got him right under the boat and he broke me off at the leader. Looks like I'm gonna have to step it up too, ain't that right Matt:smile2: Moved to another spot where the channel comes right up to the bank and Britton caught a really good channel cat right on the bank. Fished one more spot and Britton got a gar and a big ole crab. The new spots didn't work out this time but you never know when you're gonna find that one money spot and you won't find it doing nothing but fishing the same old places over and over again.

7. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    wes you are going to wear that lake out :smile2: catch them all at least 1 time. repeat if necessary

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I certainly hope that it comes to that. It would most definitely be a good problem to have:smile2:

9. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I fished last night from a little before dark to 2. We landed 3 fish in all...2 flatheads and a gar. The two flatties were 9 and 11 pounds. I took to buddies of mine to try to catch their first flathead and they had a blast. We used live and cut bream but all the hits were on cutbait. We had one more fish on as we were about to leave but I guess the hook was never set well and it came off. The crabs were out in full force all night munching on our baits.

Attached Files:

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well, Matt did better than we did. We fished until about 12:30 and ended up with one gar and one channel cat. That was the only real hits we had....other than the dang crabs which as Matt said were all over the place last night. We called it a bit early, I have a bass tournament tonight, hopefully the bass will bite better than the cats did for us last night:smile2:

11. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Well at least you didn't get skunked! Sorry for the 2 am phone call...we didn't realize that was you headed for home.

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It's all good man. I was actually kinda worried when we went by I saw your light flashing and I didn't know if you were in trouble or not. Kinda felt like a jerk for just moving on but I figured that if you needed help you'd have called:eek:oooh: Yeah, it sure was better than being skunked but it was the first trip of the year without a flathead. Better luck next time I guess.

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well, I'm off for the "trash fish" tournament!!!!
    I've been pacing around the house for a couple of hours now:smile2: Wish us luck, lets hope we do better than the guys who were weighing in last night when we were loading up. Only took a little over 4lbs to win it:crazy: Should take over 12lbs to win ours but we'll see. I'll try and remember to take some pictures of the tournament this time.

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well, we got the W last night!! I couldn't believe that we got 1st place with a limit that only weighed just under 10lbs. We got plenty of fish just no big ones. We also had big fish with a 2-11 monster:smile2:.
    My buddy Loyd and his partner Jack got 2nd and Britton (AKA the Golden Boy) and his partner John got third. Britton once again proved he's simply blessed when it comes to catfishing. He calls me up at about 11:00 and is freaking out and says he just caught a flathead over 20lbs on a dang plastic worm:confused2: Just can't keep the boy from catching big cats.

15. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    congrats on the Win! Sounds like you need to start entering catfish tourny's with Britton and winning some cash. :smile2:

16. carelessthunder

carelessthunder New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Anyone fished sutton lately, Headed down there monday night just wondering if anyone has had any luck there.

17. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Haven't been in almost 2 weeks unfortunately. Last couple of trips have been less than eventful though.

18. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I wanted to head out there tonight but the wind was blowing so bad today we didn't mess with it. I have not been catfishing in about 2 weeks and its killing me!

19. carelessthunder

State:
    north carolina
    where do you guys think the best luck will be? In the 30ft hole or way in the back by the cattails? Or less there are more spots someone is willing to give, I am all ears. thanks

20. carelessthunder

State:
    north carolina
    Well went to sutton last night fished from 730 to midnight. I dont know what the deal is maybe i dont know how to catfish, reeled in 2 gar that were about 3 and a half feet long and one giant blue crab. I was fishing live bait close to the shore and cut bait in the channels and close to the shore.