Sutton Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by FATFLATTIE, Jun 11, 2008.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Got out last night for the first full on trip of the year. We were actually able to catch bait this time which was a plus, they're still not as thick as I'd like them to be but we had enough for the night. Fished a new spot first and had one taker but I missed him. The next spot we found 'em. I caught one in less than 10min that was my biggest Sutton Lake flathead ever, probably low to mid 40's, really nice fish...man he had that clicker screaming. We sat there for another 45min rebaiting every so often and we had a few small hits, probably gar and then Britton's clicker started singing and he ends up getting his biggest flathead ever probably high 20's maybe 30+. Fished one more spot and missed another good run. Only got two but hey, I'll take that kind of quality over quantity any day of the week. Of course we didn't have the camera so the two biggest flatheads that have ever been put in my boat will forever be remembered by a couple of terrible cell phone pictures:angry:. Britton's fish came on cut shad and mine came on a hand sized bluegill.

2. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    That is what I am talking about man. Congrats! I have been missing that kind of performance from the flatheads in sutton. It is good to hear the bite is on, I'm gonna have to hit it up when I get back in town. Tell me wes, were those flathead skinny or healthy? I know there has been alot of talk of too many flounder messing the bassin and cattin up. I would think that would only make the bite more ferocious though.
    That (no camera=best fish yet) has happened to me as well, it is almost like they know.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    The three that three that we've got in the past two trips have been healthy but they're still those long lean Sutton fish. Thats just the way they're built in there I think but they were very healthy looking fish. I think that's a great sign b/c last year I noticed a bunch of those 10-20lbers that were just all head. However, they both hit pretty hard!

4. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Congrats on the night! Two pb's in one night is impressive. Good to hear that you found some bait fish. We have not been able to catch any lately. We are fishin the main lake mostly but the water is starting to get pretty warm. Maybe the bait fish are moving out towards the back? Next time we go we will prob check it out back there.

Good luck

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    There is bait in pretty much the entire lake year round, it's just a matter of catching them which at times can prove pretty difficult.

6. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Nice night of fishing. I caught my new personal best in there a few weeks ago. He seemed good and healthy. It's good to know the big ones are still in there.

7. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Wes congrats on a good night man!! Thats the kind of fishin every man wants to do.

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Got out last night for some catfishin' with Britton. It was a very good night. Ended up with 10 flatheads(most I've ever been a part of) and 4 channel cats. It was truly Britton's night. He caught 8 of the flatheads and 3 channel cats. He caught a 26, 24, and 22lb flatheads along with a really nice 14lb channel cats. He threw it right in a smaller flatheads mouth, couldn't even get the rod in the holder before the fish took off with it. He also hooked a fish on the outside of the mouth with a circle hook(figure that one out) and also got hung up and then about 15min later a 14lb flathead promptly got it unhung for him:confused2: The boy could flat do no wrong. It was a great night, I'm just glad I was there to swing all those fish in the boat for him:smile2:. All fish came on bluegill, most fish came on live using Carolina rigs. I tried a couple bullheads but had no takers. Caught fish from 17ft of water all the way to 2ft and everywhere in between. I swear, we fished until almost 3am and if we'd have had more bait we might still be out there!! Only the second time I've had to leave the lake b/c of running out of bait. What a great couple of trips to start out the year with! I sure hope this bite keeps up. Some of the fish still haven't spawned yet, one of the smaller fish last night dropped some eggs in the boat and the water temp is 92-94 in the back lakes!

Oh and it was a full moon too!

9. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    congrats on the night wes! how are you getting your blue gill?

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    We're just catching them hook and line using bobbers and worms. Works quite well. Sometimes it takes a while and you just have to keep moving but you'll find them. They're everywhere along the shores at this time of year.

11. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    congrats wes, when u going back i hope to get out saturday nite if the rain don,t mess it up may just try sutton lake out.britton sounds like my dad with the luck sometimes he lets me catch 1 or 2 lol

12. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dang wes, save some fish for us! sounds like you figured out summer fishing at sutton!

13. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    Sounds like ya'll had a real good trip.

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah, we've been doing pretty well to start out with this year. It won't be long though before one of those random skunkings that is just unexplainable happens. You can be killing them and then you just go out there and don't get anything at all. That lake is like no other place on the planet and I LOVE it.

15. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    went out friday night and tried some new spots on the 3rd lake and some old favorites from last year. got a couple thumps but nothing to show for it. had a gar on that slipped the hook. i think this chunk of storms may have impacted the fish. those blue crabs are a problem, they are pulling my bream off the hook without even a bump on my rods. I was having to reel in every 20 minutes to check and make sure that still had bait. last night was good for the soul though, it had been too long since I had sat waiting for a monster on sutton.

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah Mike, those crabs are a real pain in the anus:smile2: It is a good idea to check your baits often now. A big lively 'gill will usually survive, but cutbait should be checked quite regularly. I know what you mean about it being good for the soul. That first real trip last week really reminded me how much I loved fishing that place. Ever since then I can hardly think about anything else other than fishing Sutton for cats and bass:0a33: at night for the next few months.

17. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    hey wes did you get your boat fixed

18. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Got out last night for some fishing with a fellow BOC member for the first time. I met Randy at the lake at about 7. Fished for bream from then until it was almost dark. We got a few but most of them were really little. We fished 3 spots I think and unfortunately we only got 1 fish. It was a decent flathead. Had several nice runs that didn't hook up (some of which were almost certainly gar) and Randy had one hooked that broke him off. It wasn't a bad night, just wish the fish would have bit just a little better. Oh Randy did get a crab that was 19in from claw to claw!! I had a great time with Randy, he knows a lot about fishing and taught me a thing or two.

Attached Files:

19. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    we had a very good trip. most enjoyable meeting a member for a chance to exchange stories & knowledge. i learned some more tricks to apply to my knowledge bank. seems if you fish only your way you sometimes get stuck in a rutt doing the same things the same way all the time i,m going to try a few things we talked about last nite to see if it helps my style change for the better i really think it will. thanks for the trip wes :eek:oooh: maybe i can catch something besibes the crabs next trip :smile2:

20. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I got off work incredibly early on monday and decided it was time to examine sutton for baitfish locations and holes holding fish. Basically just a trip to decide where to spend my time night fishing this coming weekend. But when I got to the fifth lake and checked the pipes for activity, I came up on the most life I have seen in that lake in one place at one time. There were 1-2 inch minnows everywhere with bass coming out of the water after them with needlefish following them to collect the leftovers. I started throwing a small jig past and through the schools and must have pulled in 10(+) 1-3 pound bass. Saw some that had to have been 6+lbs. Also pulled in two small flounder. With all that activity I have a feeling there were some channel cats in the area scooping up the dead and injured minnows. Made me wish I had brought a good net to scoop up some of the minnows, but it was still a great time. I have a feeling with the amount of fish in the area, the fifth lake will be a good bet for cats in the next couple of weeks!