Sutton Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by FATFLATTIE, Feb 21, 2008.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Got to Sutton last night for the first time in forever it seems. Just did a little bank fishing. We ended up with Jason catching a nice channel cat and I caught a 15lb flattie, both coming on cut shad. It was weird, as soon as the eclipse was full on the fish started biting. We missed a few including a nice one. It was fun to go and do some nice relaxing bank fishing.

2. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    i heard sutton was pretty good for the flatties and channels but it was an extremely shallow lake on average, ive been meaning to take a trip down there but you know how that goes

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah, it's a great lake for both. I'm 100% positive that there is a state record flathead and channel cat in the lake. Actually me and my buddy McLean released state record channel cats on the same night. My friend Jason has also caught one well over the current record. I've hung some flatheads in there that I couldn't do anything with. It's a tough lake to land a big one in b/c there are stumps/logs literally every 10ft. If you go out there be really careful, just put around. There are some serious hazards out there especially if the water's down like it was last week. It was back up as of yesterday though. If you ever get down this way hit me up.

4. Brucegusmc

Brucegusmc New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ive been down to lake sutton a couple times and usually have alot of luck but the last 3 times i went down to sutton I havent even gotten a bite in a long time. I cant seem to find any good spots to fis from shore every where i go there are to many reeds or its just a bad spot to fish.

5. razorback

razorback New Member

State:
    Camp Lejeune, N.C.
    Sutton is a fantastic lake if you have a boat. There are as he said tons of structure but there are also 20 to 30 holes as well as the "Hot Ditch" by the plant were the water temp is normally above 70. There have been plenty of time I've been fishing there in the winter freezing my butt off then looking down at the fish finder see the water temp and want to jump in! The problem with the hot ditch in winter is the fish are very lazy my buddy and i saw two huge cats basking in about 3 ft of water they wouldn't touch anything we had in fact I bumped one of them on the head with my rod tip. Could have gone noodling! (thats not happening, didn't survive 20 yrs in the Marine Corps to have my damn finger bitten off by a fish or turtle!):eek:oooh: The bass fishing is excellent as well, but you can't keep any largemouth bass from Dec. 1–March 31, for those that choose not to catch and release. I hope to get down there this weekend..rain and all.:boss:

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm very excited to hear that you guys caught fish that night, so is Jay going to keep good on his word? Or has he already? lol :happy:

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah, it was pretty funny he was saying before we went out there that he's never gotten a bite off the bridge and it was a full moon, blah, blah, and we weren't going to catch anything. Well we did :smile: He's so funny, if he hasn't done it, it can't be done:smile2:

8. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Sounds like ya'll had a pretty good night of fishing. It's time to head to the lake again. Have the 4 wheelers destroyed the new road yet?

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    They sure have:angry: It's not as bad as it has been, but they're starting to undo all the work the guys put in to smooth the road out.

10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, sadly I blame part of the road problem on them cutting off access to all the secondary roads there used to be running through there. Like the access to the back wall. That was just stupid, but now the only places the 4-wheelers really can travel is the main road. I understand that all of the surrounding property is private, but you'd think they'd do something, or just all out ban 4-wheelers from the access road.

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Me and McLean went out last night for some of that awesome ditch action:smile2: The bite was on!!! Got hit before we could even bait up the second rod. We continued getting slammed all night long every 5 minutes or less. Almost lost a rod twice on the initial hit. Man it was fun. Only ended up getting 4 fish in 2hrs but it was nice to have to keep running from rod to rod the whole time. We lost a couple of fish and like I said missed I don't know how many. I think the majority of them were small and some must have been gar. We ended up with 3 channels (9-15, 9-11, 9-5) and a small flathead around 4-5lbs. Pretty good night except for the 2-3 foot swells coming up the hot ditch:eek:oooh:

12. razorback

razorback New Member

State:
    Camp Lejeune, N.C.
    It can be a bear there when the winds up. Did you happen to mark any fish by the boat ramp?

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah, the wind can be bad but usually it's not blowing right up the ditch like it was. I wasn't in a boat yesterday, but I've never "marked" a fish in my life and caught them (well maybe once I did:smile2:). I've heard tales of such a thing but I just try and fish spots that consistently produce fish and fish those areas.

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Got out to the lake for a little bank fishing last night. Fished two spots and caught 2 flatheads and 1 channel cat(the fattest one I've ever seen). One flathead came on a green sunfish and the other two cats were caught on cut shad. The water was low and they weren't pumping hard in the ditch last night.

15. razorback

razorback New Member

State:
    Camp Lejeune, N.C.
    Were you fishing over by the walkway bridge?

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yep, sure was. Caught two off the T-dock and 1 near the bridge.

17. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    those channels are fat as all. my buddy caught a big one that had a stomach much fatter than its head last saturday. i've heard they spawn at least twice a year due to the constant water temperatures. do you think they are spawning already?

18. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    They could be man. I wouldn't be surprised if they do spawn twice a year in there. With the water warm year round it's a definite possibility. I don't think they are spawning yet, but they're well on their way. I think that they spawn right after they make their annual run up the lake and possibly again near the fall.

19. Brendin0702

Brendin0702 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If anyone has any catfish tips and I mean any for the Cape Fear River or Sutton Lake please PM me.

20. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Fatflattie? Are you using circle hooks? If not they might help with those missed hook-ups, especially when tending multiple lines spread out.