Sutton Lake?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BILLYP, Apr 26, 2007.

1. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Has anybody fished Sutton Lake down by Wilmington?

2. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Fished Sutton Sunday, fish are popping everywhere on the top eating all the bugs. I marked alot of bait in all the deep dikes that go around the lake but forgot to bring my castnet since I was using bream for bait. Had a few strikes but was nothing but a group of gar in my area and missed the hookset each time. There are some nice flatheads out there if you can find them. Water temp is lowest on the back lake at 76f. that lake warms up so fast in the spring it is ridiculous.

3. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Me and my buddy are heading down there on the 12th and staying overnight. Is ther anywhere to camp on the lake?

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Camp with da bears.:lol:

5. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    yeah we will probibly just camp in the boat. He is terrified of bears.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    When I used to work at once was Cape Industries and lived in Wrightsville Beach there used to be a big sow black bear that used to cross 421 right there at the store where you turned to go to the lake. She crossed the same days and the same times just like you could set a watch by her.
    She had a food route. The dumpsters at the store and on down to the lake.

7. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'd check it out before heading down there. Buddy of mine said that there has been a pretty sizeable fish kill there due to a chemical that plant used to kill the vegitation from their intake grids.

8. kenmany

kenmany New Member

State:
    NC
    I fish Sutton quite a bit. The pic in my avatar was just one that I have caught out there. I havent been this year but am looking foward to getting out there. Just be careful as this is a wierd lake, stumps everywhere, sandbars, and shallow water. Take it easy and find the ditch(about 16-20' deep). There are some deep holes if you want to fish deep. PM if you have any questions.

9. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    If you have four wheel drive there is a trail that can take you back to the pennisula between the first and second lakes where I always see fires going. I'll bet you can find a good place to post up with a google map search of the lake. If not a boat can get there easy enough. Good luck.

10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree the first dike has two decent areas on it. I've been out there looking for reptiles before, and only put out lines once, with no strikes. That area on the lake (between lakes 1&2) can get up there in temps during the summer so fishing could be very slow anywhere through mid summer.