SUTTON LAKE ?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Jollymon, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Hey anyone fish Sutton Lake this time of year for cats ,just wondering .Have not heard anything at all about Sutton lately

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yes the cats will bite this time of year. Actually very, very good at times. Mostly channel cats but you can get the occasional flathead. Best time to go is when is so cold at night you can't stand it.

3. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    We caught a few flatheads and channels last year around this time. We never had any nights with great numbers or any big fish though. Hopefully I'll be posting some pics of Sutton Lake monsters pretty soon!

4. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Just walked in the door from the lake. We fished about 3 and a half hours with no luck. We had a couple nibbles from the gars but that was it. Water temps were 57-60 degrees and there was no wind. I've never seen a body of water so calm..it was glass all the way across the lake. There was also some pretty decent current coming out of the ditch. Maybe we will get them next time....

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Matt thanks for the report ,sorry you didn,t load up the line with some biguns ,but like you said maybe next trip out there you will ,but heck at least you are fishing LOL

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Got out today for a little while. Braden and I hit Sutton, had an itch to throw a bass rod

Bass fished for about 2.5 hrs and caught 5, without operator error should have had 9:at-wits-end:

Caught a few bream before dark and put out the cat rods. Fished about an hour and got a 10lb flathead, a 6lb channel, and Braden got a huge 16lb channel cat!! Been a long time since I've had the grand slam It was really a fun day especially bass fishing with no trolling motor, just a paddle! Caught the first bass outta the new boat:cool:

7. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I'm ready to hit Sutton up has any one had a chance to rip any Fattie Flatty's lately ???
    Is it best to fish it at night still or is a day trip the way to go at this time/temp ???
    Just saw your post Wes , for some odd reason I couldn't see it till after i posted , thanks for the info ...
    Any one else braved the cold on Sutton ?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    We all need to get up some time soon and hit up the dock. I think it would be a lot of fun to get a group of us and hit the dock. We got a couple 30lb flats last year about this time off the dock. That and McLean can get out there b/c the dock is wheel chair accessible LOL!