Sutton Lake in North Carolina

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Timber Cat, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I'm sure this has been asked before but I am curious if anyone here has tried catfishin at Sutton lake just outside Wilmington?I have been a time or two but didn't have alot of luck with the big ones:sad: .Caught a few small cats but none the less had a great time.If anyone has been and had some luck with those big uns I sure would like to hear about it.Thanks for any info!

2. Cat Tale

Cat Tale New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Yes,I've had lots of luck in Sutton.It depends on what you call big.There are plenty of 20 to 40 pounders out there.I don't recall ever catching anything less than 10 to 15 pounders.Alot depends on what you use,where you are fishing and when you are there.

3. gunnyb

gunnyb New Member

how's the fishing this time of year at sutton?
    i've been wanting to try it for awhile.

4. Cat Tale

Cat Tale New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    The air temp is still a little chilly for me right now.My son has been catching
    a few mid sized blues at night.I have had the best luck the end of March-May.

5. maddcatties

maddcatties New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    is this a lake that you can do both bank or boat?

6. gunny169

gunny169 New Member

State:
    Jacksonville, N
    a friend and i were out two wednesday's ago , weather was good. we used a few different baits ::: live eels, live bream, worms. And nothing bit. did see a very large bass swimming around the dock and get this a 15 to 25 pound catfish playing on the surface about 200 yards from the dock. flipping and rolling around. i've never seen that! it that normal?

7. phillip puryear

phillip puryear New Member

State:
    NC
    We are planning on going there in march for the first time. what is average depth there.

8. HookinHand

HookinHand New Member

State:
    Rocky Point, NC
    Sutton lake is the cooling water lake for a progess coal burning plant, the average depth is 7 ft, but there is deep water along the finger dykes, and a hole of 30 ft in lake 3, you can call progress energy and they will send you a map, if this is your first time it is a good idea to get this map. There is alot of timber and unless you know this lake keep your boat speed slow. There are also many large gar in this lake, I find this a good thing, they are fun to catch and tasty too.

9. Cat Tale

Cat Tale New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Go Slow or follow a local. There are huge stumps and sandbars that can ruin your day.The lake averages 6/8 ft.There is a lot of lake less than 3 ft.There are holes over 30ft.The channels along the dykes are 10'15' ft.Out in the middle of the first bay,where the ramp is,it looks to be deep,it is not!Alot of area where waters only 2/3 feet deep.Warning,DO NOT GO OUT ON Heavy WEST WIND.That place chops worse than the ocean and is very unpredictable.You also will lose sight of stumps just below surface.Many a boat has been capsized,sunk,swamped and worse.Don't be a headline in the StarNews!But other than that,it's a sweet fishin hole with some big cats.And to Gunny,yes it is normal to see big cats roll the surface out there.There is 1 gran daddy in the 3rd bay that shows up every eve.His dorsal fin is huge and he'll cruise like a shark at times.I've been after him for some time now,but he didn't get that big being stupid.

10. phillip puryear

phillip puryear New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the info

11. gunny169

gunny169 New Member

State:
    Jacksonville, N
    was out on sutton friday, no cats but lots of little brim and about 5 or 6 nice ones. we were out in a canoe and the wind kicked up got a little worried at times. but 2 fellows in a small jon boat captized and they had walk their boat back the boat dock following the edge of the lake 1 from the hot water canal. if you go out be careful and go slow until you learn the lake and watch the wind!!

12. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    They might have been better off walking slam across the middle of that lake. From the topographic maps I've seen, the edges are deeper then the center! Which all come to be due to the creation of Sutton lake when they dammed up Catfish creek and flooded some farmland and a nearby wooded area. The deeper channels in the lake is where the Catfish creek ran, and along the dikes where they dug out to construct said dikes. The 30' hole was an existing pond on the farmland, which is why there is just that one spot that is deep like that. I take my girls down there from time to time to enjoy fishing for sunfish mostly, but have nailed some MONSTER bass out there, including a day when we got three over 10lbs! We've caught some really nice channels but unlike most places where I've caught channels, they seem to be real "spotty". They don't school up like they do in most waters where you can catch 5-12 in a two hour time frame. On Sutton, you'll catch a couple here...a couple there...or more likely, one here, one there. Sutton is the oddest body of water (in regards to fish behavior) I've ever fished, hands down.